Separating my chicks

trueblue1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 22, 2014
French Camp, MS
I need advise. I have one chick that is pecking the others eyes and faces. I removed her and put her in her own box. We tried to put her back but she still wants to peck. We have the 12 chicks (2.2 weeks old) in a 50 gallon tub. Is that to many all together? Should I split them up 6-6 and have another box. Will introducing them to the coop all together be a problem if I do this?

Reading different things says they might be bored. What can I do to help chick boredom?

Last edited:
How old are the chicks?
I wouldn't split them up but rather give them a bigger box. You can put some branches/wood logs in there for them to play on. They love to hop on and off and practice roosting. Maybe that will keep them busy. They do have chick treats at our farm store that you can hang in the brooder and they can peck on. It is like a suet stick thing.

They are a little over 2 weeks...ok I won't separate them and I'm out the door to buy chick pecking toys and finding branches. Thank you

I don't know how big a 50 gallon tub is, but I'm thinking they're going to need more space pretty soon. at this age rule of thumb is about a square foot each, and by 5ish weeks, 2 feet each.

What color lamp are you using? Red seems to help with this problem, and i agree with the previous poster MORE room.
I'm going to be using a child's wading pool later this month, with cardboard sides and a tarp over most of the top.

I'm using a red light...and we are moving them to a larger box. I've got them some "toys" to help with chick boredom. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom