Separating my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trueblue1, Mar 4, 2014.

1. trueblue1

trueblue1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    French Camp, MS
    I need advise. I have one chick that is pecking the others eyes and faces. I removed her and put her in her own box. We tried to put her back but she still wants to peck. We have the 12 chicks (2.2 weeks old) in a 50 gallon tub. Is that to many all together? Should I split them up 6-6 and have another box. Will introducing them to the coop all together be a problem if I do this?

Reading different things says they might be bored. What can I do to help chick boredom?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    How old are the chicks?
    I wouldn't split them up but rather give them a bigger box. You can put some branches/wood logs in there for them to play on. They love to hop on and off and practice roosting. Maybe that will keep them busy. They do have chick treats at our farm store that you can hang in the brooder and they can peck on. It is like a suet stick thing.

3. trueblue1

Feb 22, 2014
    French Camp, MS
    They are a little over 2 weeks...ok I won't separate them and I'm out the door to buy chick pecking toys and finding branches. Thank you

4. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

What are the measurements for your tub? You may have to get a bigger one or get another and connect it to the one you have.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know how big a 50 gallon tub is, but I'm thinking they're going to need more space pretty soon. at this age rule of thumb is about a square foot each, and by 5ish weeks, 2 feet each.

6. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    What color lamp are you using? Red seems to help with this problem, and i agree with the previous poster MORE room.
    I'm going to be using a child's wading pool later this month, with cardboard sides and a tarp over most of the top.

7. trueblue1

Feb 22, 2014
    French Camp, MS
    I'm using a red light...and we are moving them to a larger box. I've got them some "toys" to help with chick boredom. Thank you for all your suggestions.

8. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Grass with roots still attached works well. I'm interested in what toys you used. I'm about to have a lot of chicks, and it's been years.

9. birdlady79

birdlady79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    Mine peck at eyes too... Not as bad now as it was.....I did the grass with roots. It worked great.... So did popcorn...

10. trueblue1

Feb 22, 2014
    French Camp, MS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by