Separation anxiety for ducks

Debby Duck

Songster
Jul 5, 2020
South Florida
I have a flock of white crested, 15 month olds. So far still looking like 4 boys and 2 girls. They're all so close, extremely bonded to each other. When I have to re-home the girls what affect is this going to have on them? I'm so worried and sad that I have to do this.

Also, how old are they usually when they begin mating? I'm holding off to make sure it's only the 2 girls.

Thanks 😥

I have a flock of white crested, 15 month olds. So far still looking like 4 boys and 2 girls. They're all so close, extremely bonded to each other. When I have to re-home the girls what affect is this going to have on them? I'm so worried and sad that I have to do this.

Also, how old are they usually when they begin mating? I'm holding off to make sure it's only the 2 girls.

Thanks 😥
One why not keep them and just separate them or get more girls for your boys
2 around 20wks they come into season for breeding and egg laying but since it will be winter by the time they come into season you probably won't have to worry till spring if it were me i would get more ducks so your drakes don't over breed your ducks but thats me

One why not keep them and just separate them or get more girls for your boys
2 around 20wks they come into season for breeding and egg laying but since it will be winter by the time they come into season you probably won't have to worry till spring if it were me i would get more ducks so your drakes don't over breed your ducks but thats me
I would love to do that. But I'm barely set up to have the 6. If I have the space and ability I would do just that.
In a South Florida we don't have a winter to speak of. Will that matter?

I would love to do that. But I'm barely set up to have the 6. If I have the space and ability I would do just that.
I you rehoem them, try to make sure that who you give them to doesn't have a drake. White crested ducks shouldn't live with drakes, because the crest on there heads is attached by a fatty lump in there skull. If a drake grabs it and pulls on it really hard it could hurt them badly. I hope you find them good home! They may be sad after yo separate them, but hey will forgive you. I rehomed 2 drakes before, and the flock was fine, probably a bit bummed but they were okay.

I you rehoem them, try to make sure that who you give them to doesn't have a drake. White crested ducks shouldn't live with drakes, because the crest on there heads is attached by a fatty lump in there skull. If a drake grabs it and pulls on it really hard it could hurt them badly. I hope you find them good home! They may be sad after yo separate them, but hey will forgive you. I rehomed 2 drakes before, and the flock was fine, probably a bit bummed but they were okay.
Wow. So these ducks would not have come from a hen with a crest? Just the drake that mated her most likely?

Wow. So these ducks would not have come from a hen with a crest? Just the drake that mated her most likely?
they could have had a crested mom who was lucky enough to not have her crest yanked on, but the crest is a recessive gene, a kind of terrible deformity really. Recessive genes are more likely to take over when one or both parents have it but its not necessary - you can have two perfectly healthy and outwardly normal ducks mate and their offspring just gets real unlucky

Oh
Oh i didn't realize you were in Florida ya then you will either have to re-home or get more girls or swap girls for boys if you can find someone to swap with if you don't mind my asking how big is your setup for them

Thanks 😥
It's unfortunate that you have to do this, but they will be ok in a few days. No different then weaning yearling caves from their mothers in the fall. They make a lot of noise for a few days and will quiet down and go about their business as nothing happened.

The change is a shock for them at first and they will adjust quickly. You are doing what's best for them and IMO, that's most import over their brief adjustment period. :)

Back
Top Bottom