Seperating chicks from hen

Cytha S

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
I just got a hen with her two chicks. I wouldn't upset her now by removing them as I think the move is enough this week, but how do I go about introducing her and the chicks to my flock? I was also wondering how long before she stops being so protective of the chicks? They have full feathers, eat and drink on their own as well as starting to fly and can roost?

Our broody finally just left her chicks after 7 weeks. lol It depends on the broody.

Is there a reason you want to separate them? You could introduce them all together if the chicks are older and there is plenty of room. I, personally, would leave them together in their own shelter that was inside or attached to the main flock and let them get used to each other that way.

Well if she lets go in a reasonable time I don't lol, but have heard of hens keeping them with her for months. I got her purely for the fact she was broody, and want her to hatch eggs for me.

I'd leave them with her to introduce to the rest of the flock, so momma is there and protective. Then, after a few weeks, you can try separating her from then and see if you can tempt her to go broody again.

I personally like to have the broody raise chicks with the flock. It makes things so much nicer for the babies to grow up in the flock, on problems introducing them later.

Back
Top Bottom