Sept Silkie hatches (Great Hatches)

oh dear this isn't living up to the thread name, lost another one today. moving yesterday nothing and receded blood vessels today??? Confusing thing is this one had lost exactly the correct amount of moisture everyday. Al the ones that stopped recently were white eggs? the others are beige? they were all from the partridge parents. The eggs were 4 days or less old.
cleaned my incubator with hot soapy water and bleach. Think I'll replace the wire rack and everything that can be, then re-calibrate the gauges. Though temps have been more stable in this hatch.
Gitabooks how are your little ones going?
Silkworm, hope your doing well.

I'm sorry to hear about your eggs. I hope some of them hatch.

My chicks are doing really well, though they are sleeping in my room and keep waking me up when they are hungry or thirsty. The love to snuggle and let me pet them, the first chicks I've ever had that seem to except that. The other two are do to hatch today, I can't wait!

Thanks! I had eight of nine make it through the hatch. One got stuck when unzipping and died. :( I am going to get a better thermostat before spring, as I know I will be hatching more. But there are eight happy little peeps in the kitchen! One I'm a little worried about it's legs-it seems to sit with it's legs a little wide, and it tips over backward and gets stuck a lot. But it also runs around just fine, and was one of the last to hatch so maybe it's still getting it's "sea legs." I'm keeping an eye. My kids had a ball watching the hatch and so far we have named them Nugget, Private and Rico. :)

Hit submit too soon-

So sorry to hear that yours aren't cooperating. :(

Last edited:
Oh no. Sorry to hear about the eggs. I peeked quick on the eggs I set first. Only day 3 but only a few were showing development. I'm really hoping it was just too soon. What do you clean the incubator with? This just came up on another thread. I just use bleach.
I'm wanting to do the same with my flock. I'm dying to see what I will hatch out from them. I'm already thinking of just giving into the addiction and setting a batch a month!! I should get my first egg in a month or two but it won't be fertile because I haven't seen them mate yet. When do they start? The boy and girl are both 16 weeks. Oh, and I love ducks!! Can't wait to hatch them in the spring. Did you ever hatch calls?

I have never hatched call ducks. Ducklings are fun because if you let them imprint on you in the first couple days they will follow you around. My son really loved that!

Thanks! I had eight of nine make it through the hatch. One got stuck when unzipping and died. :( I am going to get a better thermostat before spring, as I know I will be hatching more. But there are eight happy little peeps in the kitchen! One I'm a little worried about it's legs-it seems to sit with it's legs a little wide, and it tips over backward and gets stuck a lot. But it also runs around just fine, and was one of the last to hatch so maybe it's still getting it's "sea legs." I'm keeping an eye. My kids had a ball watching the hatch and so far we have named them Nugget, Private and Rico. :)

Hit submit too soon-

8 out of 9 is really good. You will have to name wobbly legs something marine related.Under the hen they stick their head up into her feathers so i think the tipping backwards is an instinctive thing to stick their head up combined with weak legs and poor balance, should come good.

Chicken cuddles are so nice, especially when they do that head shake and peep at you. Gitabooks did you have Rosy? if so is she happy with her new friends?

ruby I'm looking for that thread, am considering putting the eggs on a heatpad and cleaning the incubator with hand sanitiser. it warms up quite fast and its running dry so humidity not such a concern. The nursing bacxkground in me cant deal with the thought of it being bacteria ridden.

Any one here done this before?

Thanks!  I had eight of nine make it through the hatch.  One got stuck when unzipping and died. :(  I am going to get a better thermostat before spring, as I know I will be hatching more.  But there are eight happy little peeps in the kitchen!  One I'm a little worried about it's legs-it seems to sit with it's legs a little wide, and it tips over backward and gets stuck a lot.  But it also runs around just fine, and was one of the last to hatch so maybe it's still getting it's "sea legs." I'm keeping an eye. My kids had a ball watching the hatch and so far we have named them Nugget, Private and Rico.  :)

Hit submit too soon-

Congrats on the awesome hatch!! Are his legs too wide? Sometimes chicks are born with "splayed legs" and it's easily fixed, if caught soon enough. Does it look like it goes out to the side?

I have never hatched call ducks.  Ducklings are fun because if you let them imprint on you in the first couple days they will follow you around.  My son really loved that!

I know!! I can't wait for that part!! :love

ruby I'm looking for that thread, am considering putting the eggs on a heatpad and cleaning the incubator with hand sanitiser. it warms up quite fast and its running dry so humidity not such a concern. The nursing bacxkground in me cant deal with the thought of it being bacteria ridden.

Here's the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ooder-picture-heavy-update/1500#post_15794637

I made one and it was 95 degrees underneath. How long will it take you to clean the incubator and get it back up to temp?

8 out of 9 is really good. You will have to name wobbly legs something marine related.Under the hen they stick their head up into her feathers so i think the tipping backwards is an instinctive thing to stick their head up combined with weak legs and poor balance, should come good.

Chicken cuddles are so nice, especially when they do that head shake and peep at you. Gitabooks did you have Rosy? if so is she happy with her new friends?

I don't have Rosy, but I do have some really cuddly, cute chicks resting in my room right now. They love to run around on the carpet and make a mess (over and over and over) but they make up for that by being so tiny and sweet. One of them even ate a dead fly off the floor. Little house keepers.
smile.png
My other two eggs are starting to cheep now.

I think it would be safer to let eggs cool down than to put them on a heating pad. I know plenty of folks worry about bacteria, but eggs under a hen get poopy and muddy and still hatch so I don't worry about bacteria in the incubator and just clean them periodically.

Back
Top Bottom