Sept Silkie hatches (Great Hatches)

I think it would be safer to let eggs cool down than to put them on a heating pad. I know plenty of folks worry about bacteria, but eggs under a hen get poopy and muddy and still hatch so I don't worry about bacteria in the incubator and just clean them periodically.

I'm not sure what else would explain these sudden deaths, cant be certain its infection but wanted to do what i could just in case. All cleaned, and they are back in. Had a slight perfume but not much. I was surprised there was a grey something on the tissues I used to clean the walls and floor. 5 days to go..augh.

I'm not sure what else would explain these sudden deaths, cant be certain its infection but wanted to do what i could just in case. All cleaned, and they are back in. Had a slight perfume but not much. I was surprised there was a grey something on the tissues I used to clean the walls and floor. 5 days to go..augh.
Well firstly, I am sorry that you have eggs quitting, that always sucks. A couple thoughts that may or may not apply... it may be the eggs, in that I have noticed with chicken breeds that go broody a lot that their eggs quality can suffer because of the time they spend not eating enough and that can make their eggs more likely to quit.

The other thought is that sometimes we get so worried about eggs so that we are weighing and candling often and causing them more disruption than is helpful. I have been so concerned about how an egg was doing that I handled and candled it too much and pretty much pestered it to death... sad irony. I am not saying you are doing that, I don't know. I am just saying that I have been guilty of it. I think incubating and hatching can be a very emotional process and some of us bother our eggs too much because of it.

So here's my story: I only have 6 out of 18 developing on day 7!! :hit I think I may have killed them by letting them rest on the counter for 48 hrs!! It gets up to 80 degrees in the house in the afternoon because it's been so darn hot!! Any experience? Would 80 degrees, make them start and die? What if a broody was gathering eggs to sit on, it would be that hot outside? I just don't know. I see a black dot, with a small red circle around it on most. And a couple had obvious dark red rings. My hopes are so low for these 6 eggs. I ordered those paint eggs that I posted before! Should have them next week! They are only coming from one state over, 6 hour driving distance. And I've talked to other BYC members that bought her eggs and they said the air cells were intact when they got them. So :fl.

I don't have Rosy, but I do have some really cuddly, cute chicks resting in my room right now. They love to run around on the carpet and make a mess (over and over and over) but they make up for that by being so tiny and sweet. One of them even ate a dead fly off the floor. Little house keepers. :) My other two eggs are starting to cheep now.

Congrats on the cheepers! Any pips yet?

I think it would be safer to let eggs cool down than to put them on a heating pad.  I know plenty of folks worry about bacteria, but eggs under a hen get poopy and muddy and still hatch so I don't worry about bacteria in the incubator and just clean them periodically.

Good point, I was starting to freak out about my incubator too! But I cleaned it with bleach before setting. I keep thinking it's something I'm doing wrong!

Well firstly, I am sorry that you have eggs quitting, that always sucks.  A couple thoughts that may or may not apply...  it may be the eggs, in that I have noticed with chicken breeds that go broody a lot that their eggs quality can suffer because of the time they spend not eating enough and that can make their eggs more likely to quit.  

The other thought is that sometimes we get so worried about eggs so that we are weighing and candling often and causing them more disruption than is helpful.  I have been so concerned about how an egg was doing that I handled and candled it too much and pretty much pestered it to death... sad irony.   I am not saying you are doing that, I don't know.  I am just saying that I have been guilty of it.  I think incubating and hatching can be a very emotional process and some of us bother our eggs too much because of it.

Good points!!

8 out of 9 is really good. You will have to name wobbly legs something marine related.Under the hen they stick their head up into her feathers so i think the tipping backwards is an instinctive thing to stick their head up combined with weak legs and poor balance, should come good.

Chicken cuddles are so nice, especially when they do that head shake and peep at you. Gitabooks did you have Rosy? if so is she happy with her new friends?
From what I've read I'm happy with the numbers, but it was hard to see that fully formed chick almost out but dead. I felt pretty awful, if I had checked earlier I could have gotten it out. Although, I might not have realized even had I been sitting there that it needed assistance at that point.

Congrats on the awesome hatch!! Are his legs too wide? Sometimes chicks are born with "splayed legs" and it's easily fixed, if caught soon enough. Does it look like it goes out to the side?
I know!! I can't wait for that part!!
love.gif

Here's the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ooder-picture-heavy-update/1500#post_15794637

I made one and it was 95 degrees underneath. How long will it take you to clean the incubator and get it back up to t
Thanks! I don't think they are splayed, it walks around fine, it just seems to tumble over backwards a lot. Seems to be working it's way out, but it's pretty funny when it's laying over-looks verry grumpy!

Well firstly, I am sorry that you have eggs quitting, that always sucks. A couple thoughts that may or may not apply... it may be the eggs, in that I have noticed with chicken breeds that go broody a lot that their eggs quality can suffer because of the time they spend not eating enough and that can make their eggs more likely to quit.

The other thought is that sometimes we get so worried about eggs so that we are weighing and candling often and causing them more disruption than is helpful. I have been so concerned about how an egg was doing that I handled and candled it too much and pretty much pestered it to death... sad irony. I am not saying you are doing that, I don't know. I am just saying that I have been guilty of it. I think incubating and hatching can be a very emotional process and some of us bother our eggs too much because of it.

yes good points, these eggs have been collected early in the season, and i know 1 rooster is young not sure of the ages of the others. if over candling is a cause. I'm definitely in that group.

From what I've read I'm happy with the numbers, but it was hard to see that fully formed chick almost out but dead. I felt pretty awful, if I had checked earlier I could have gotten it out. Although, I might not have realized even had I been sitting there that it needed assistance at that point.

Thanks! I don't think they are splayed, it walks around fine, it just seems to tumble over backwards a lot. Seems to be working it's way out, but it's pretty funny when it's laying over-looks verry grumpy!

Silkworm I know exactly how you feel, lost 1 out of 9 that pipped the underside and drowned. beat myself up for not realising what had happened after watching it bump and roll crazily, but we cant go back and undo whats done, so be kind to yourself.

hope your back flipper gets its orientation right soon.

So here's my story: I only have 6 out of 18 developing on day 7!!
hit.gif
I think I may have killed them by letting them rest on the counter for 48 hrs!! It gets up to 80 degrees in the house in the afternoon because it's been so darn hot!! Any experience? Would 80 degrees, make them start and die? What if a broody was gathering eggs to sit on, it would be that hot outside? I just don't know. I see a black dot, with a small red circle around it on most. And a couple had obvious dark red rings. My hopes are so low for these 6 eggs. I ordered those paint eggs that I posted before! Should have them next week! They are only coming from one state over, 6 hour driving distance. And I've talked to other BYC members that bought her eggs and they said the air cells were intact when they got them. So
fl.gif
Congrats on the cheepers! Any pips yet?
Good point, I was starting to freak out about my incubator too! But I cleaned it with bleach before setting. I keep thinking it's something I'm doing wrong!

Good points!!

from whaty I've read they could have begun a little but remember these have been shipped, disrupting the cells in very early development can stop them developing and thats probably what happened. Look at all the hens in hot iron coops their eggs would be hotter than inside your house.
on the bright side these new arriving eggs need another incubator....when's your birthday!!

from whaty I've read they could have begun a little but remember these have been shipped, disrupting the cells in very early development can stop them developing and thats probably what happened. Look at all the hens in hot iron coops their eggs would be hotter than inside your house.
on the bright side these new arriving eggs need another incubator....when's your birthday!!

x2

I did everything I possibly could for my shipped eggs, all of them had veins, but they all died before day 8 also. It just sometimes happens.

I got into a bidding war on eBay yesterday! These paint eggs started at $35 and ended up at $76! I had to let it go. I can't spend that much on eggs right now after what I've lost on these last two batches! But then last night I got an awesome email. There is this small farm in NJ, about 3 hours away, that has beautiful silkies. I've been trying to get these eggs for a year but the women never has extras. She wrote me and said her incubator is full and her PAINT silkies laid 11 eggs yesterday!! She's collecting whatever they laid this morning and bringing them to the post office by lunch time today! I'll have them by Saturday! I'm so happy to have more eggs on the way and only a short distance. And they are paints!! Still have 6 going in the incubator. I cleaned both incubators out really, really good yesterday!!

My birthday is the same week as Christmas! I'm getting the octagon 20! Lol. Till then I have to make due with two minis! But the minis can hold 22 eggs combined. So I'm good. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom