September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Everything is going to plan so far my Plymouth hen is due sometime next week along with my first batch of gosling candles today at least 10 are alive in the shell and my other hen is due at the start of October and another due later but good news is my oeg has gone clucky so she will be due at the start of October so will be able to post heaps

We have our first chick! The little one popped out (with a little help) just over an hour ago. It got stuck zipping after about 2 hours of no progress I took the top off and a wet little chick kicked its way out of the shell. I was hoping to see more black mixed in with the red, but there isn't any. Maybe it will show up with the next generation, and maybe not. Oh well. Cute little bugger anyway. One down and two to go with this set.

I don't know about your breed,but I was really surprised to see all of the colors that show up within the days and weeks to follow!!! Is it possible that the black just hasn't presented itself yet? Nevertheless,the fluffy butt is eggsquisit!
1f425.png

@GitaBooks
Do you think all the silver and black ones are silver Laced wyandottes? I was wondering about Blue Andalusians. Maybe ours were just strange but our silver Laced wyandotte chicks were mostly black with yellow or black with varying amounts of yellow. Any other ideas?

We have our first chick! The little one popped out (with a little help) just over an hour ago. It got stuck zipping after about 2 hours of no progress I took the top off and a wet little chick kicked its way out of the shell. I was hoping to see more black mixed in with the red, but there isn't any. Maybe it will show up with the next generation, and maybe not. Oh well. Cute little bugger anyway. One down and two to go with this set.

I don't know about your breed,but I was really surprised to see all of the colors that show up within the days and weeks to follow!!! Is it possible that the black just hasn't presented itself yet? Nevertheless,the fluffy butt is eggsquisit!
1f425.png

It is possible but highly unlikely. This is the second chick from this rooster hen combination, and the third chick fathered by him. I believe the black feathering gene is recessive (red gene dominant) and is unlikely to show up in this generation. Although, I wish it would.

Chick #2 just hatched! It is red but may show some potential for darker feathering later. (The wings are black under the fluff. At least it appears to carry the gene.) Now we are just waiting for chick number three, which is show signs of activity! Yay! If this chick hatches it will be 100% for this set!

My hen has 6 eggs total: two Easter eggers, three Cochins, and one cuckoo maran due 9/29/15
I checked today and saw for sure vessels in one egg but the others are too dark! My hen is dedicated to sit ALL day and night. Hopefully I get one of each at least!!

@GitaBooks
Do you think all the silver and black ones are silver Laced wyandottes? I was wondering about Blue Andalusians. Maybe ours were just strange but our silver Laced wyandotte chicks were mostly black with yellow or black with varying amounts of yellow. Any other ideas?
Here are some old pictures of my McMurray chicks:

These are all bantams, colors include silver laced (the black and white ones), quail (brown and black), white (smokey white), and buff (the red one)

These breeds include a Buff Brahma, White Giant, Black Giant, Silver Laced Cochin, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Columbian Wyandotte, Silver-laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpinton, ect.

Guessing chicks can be hard. I had a lot of trouble guessing mine. : )

Last edited:

Congrats on the precious new baby!

Oh, I forgot to mention I added my last batch of 10 quail eggs(until spring, I promised DH) into the incubator for a hatch day of 9/30. It will have to be my last hatch. I have run out of usable brooder space. One of my brooder pens has been temporarily turned into a hospital ward. One of my new Muscovy juvenile ducklings was attacked by a dog. She doesn't have any visible injuries, however she doesn't want to walk or stand. I am hoping it is just a bit of shock, but I brought her in for closer monitoring.

I hope your muscovy gets better soon! Seems like a lot of poultry are getting attacked by dogs right now. Keep an eye out for internal injury as well as infection from the saliva (birds often get sick from mammal saliva, they can even get sick form human saliva).

Sunday is here! Chicks should hatch today or tomorrow. Tiana has been sitting on them very seriously. BUT wait!!! I went out last night to find these little beauties a day early, chirping away.

It's a brrrr 50 degrees today. Tiana is still sitting on four eggs while keeping her new chicks warm. I think I saw piping on one of the other eggs, but I only moved her fast enough to look at the chicks. This time I am letting nature take it's course and what happens, happens.

It's day 20 for me and I think my hatch is a bust. It's my first hatch and I'm sure I made lots of mistakes. If my eggs were going to hatch would they be moving now?

Back
Top Bottom