September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Hi. Update: I have veining in my store bought eggs. This just blows me away! And here's my week old chicks. Also this morning I found a chick in the water dish, ice cold and appeared dead. I put it in under a heat lamp (I don't use this time of year) and it dried off and I can't see anything different now, wow am I lucky or what?!

Last edited:
Hi. Update: I have veining in my store bought eggs. This just blows me away! And here's my week old chicks. Also this morning I found a chick in the water dish, ice cold and appeared dead. I put it in under a heat lamp (I don't use this time of year) and it dried off and I can't see anything different now, wow am I lucky or what?!

Thank goodness i so worry about that.
Well my little zipper hatched. And on a different note. Something got my new white leghorn chicken a week ago and the night before last got my favorite chicken. A couple days ago we went to the fair and bought two adult geese. English buff geese. I found my dog wrestling with the female when I went outside. My hubby cleaned her up no real damage but she got the dog good above his eye. I hope thsmat teaches him.
Than Tonight my son goes outside to check on the chickens and finds a possum eating my dogs food. Needless to say my husband chased it off by pelting rocks at it. Time for a trap and I hope that we catch it before we lose anymore chickens or ducks and geese for that matter. I still have yet to move my broody chicken. One thing at a time I guess.

Thank goodness i so worry about that.
Well my little zipper hatched. And on a different note. Something got my new white leghorn chicken a week ago and the night before last got my favorite chicken. A couple days ago we went to the fair and bought two adult geese. English buff geese. I found my dog wrestling with the female when I went outside. My hubby cleaned her up no real damage but she got the dog good above his eye. I hope thsmat teaches him.
Than Tonight my son goes outside to check on the chickens and finds a possum eating my dogs food. Needless to say my husband chased it off by pelting rocks at it. Time for a trap and I hope that we catch it before we lose anymore chickens or ducks and geese for that matter. I still have yet to move my broody chicken. One thing at a time I guess.

I'm so sorry about your chicken. I had a skunk, opossum and raccoon all at the barn at the same time, preparing for the winter. I got rid of a skunk, a raccoon and an opossum but I still have one skunk to go. Lots of work!

Wow. I have nothing as far as predators other than my own dogs because I'm in a residential neighborhood but that's why we aren't allowed to have roosters.

Wow. I have nothing as far as predators other than my own dogs because I'm in a residential neighborhood but that's why we aren't allowed to have roosters.

We used to live in the city Buffalo,NY. There is real big chicken keeping rules there. No roosters cant have the coop near any structures. It has to be clean and they inspect them. You also have to get signatures from all the neighbors around you saying yes and if ones says no.Then the city wont issue your permit. Needless to say we moved to country and than a yr later to the country in a different state altogether.

Last edited:
We used to live in the city Buffalo,NY. There is real big chicken keeping rules there. No roosters cant have the coop near any structures. It has to be clean and they inspect them. You also have to get signatures from all the neighbors around you saying yes and if ones says no.Then the city wont issue your permit.
Sounds like Sacramento, at least the last time I checked.

Maybe it's the desert too, we really have nothing much. I was surprised today when I saw a jackrabbit bolt near a train crossing. We have scorpions though (FYI children's benadryl works for stung hens).

Maybe it's the desert too, we really have nothing much. I was surprised today when I saw a jackrabbit bolt near a train crossing. We have scorpions though (FYI children's benadryl works for stung hens).

Good to know I think my molting wyandotte got stung her eye is swollen. Will pick some up tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

I have heard a few places are like that. I don't need anymore roos but glad I have a couple helps me have eggs to incubate and tom warns us at night when something is out there.
Yeah, we have people in charge of Sacramento County that don't even live here that have issues with any "noise producing fowl" that don't get how they are a benefit.
They want a ban on top of the restrictions of the supposed "non-noisey" fowl. Sealed containers to hold feathers from the coops to prevent them from spreading in the breeze & such craziness...but my neighbor's dog barking for 12 hours straight through the night is acceptable, apparently.
roll.png

Silly city-brained people...

Back
Top Bottom