September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Wow everyone with losses. I'm so sorry. I am not that experienced but my last hatch was super sad. I feel really in the dark and nervous with these Marans. Tonight I rolled them and 3 felt cold. Can you feel the life or lack of life by touch?

@Joplus

9 SQ Sicilian Buttercup eggs(arrived in very bad shape)
-set 8/16
-first candle(day7) number down to 2-3 appear viable
-5 eggs quit and were removed. Decided to give the others more time.
-due 9/6

Replacement eggs
10 SQ Sicilian Buttercup eggs
2 partridge rock eggs
-air cells a bit rough
-set 8/21
-due 9/11

Ok thanks I know some I had missing info
1f600.png

Update:

I suspected four or five of my eggs to be infertile, all from one hen, so I candled them and found four (of 8) were fertile and growing. I took the others and opened them up with a screw, inside of a bag in case they exploded. All of them looked like a normal egg inside, no sign of chicks. The others are doing very well though, even one egg from the same hen. I'm glad I added those late extra eggs.

Its been busy around here with things other then eggs also. One of my four young bantams (Eve) escaped and went missing. Our cat was hungry and I was pretty sure he had gotten to her, but the next morning she was nervously waiting for me to take her in to her brothers. She was very happy to be home.
celebrate.gif

Then, tonight, while locking the chickens up, I found one of my Leghorns, seemingly dead halfway under a gate. When I got nearer, she moved, then slipped through and walked to the coop with a limp. I knew she had been attacked, but I'm not sure by what. Thankfully, the wounds were small, like it was a small animal taking advantage of her having been trapped. We cleaned up the wounds and put her in a crate in the coop for the night, so I could make sure the others wouldn't peck the wounds. Her tail was so dirty and ruined that we just trimmed the feathers off. It is near molting time, so I hope they grow back soon. This will be a good way to tell her apart though. Lol. The poor thing looks very silly without her long, elegant tail.
smile.png

Update:

I suspected four or five of my eggs to be infertile, all from one hen, so I candled them and found four (of 8) were fertile and growing. I took the others and opened them up with a screw, inside of a bag in case they exploded. All of them looked like a normal egg inside, no sign of chicks. The others are doing very well though, even one egg from the same hen. I'm glad I added those late extra eggs.

Its been busy around here with things other then eggs also. One of my four young bantams (Eve) escaped and went missing. Our cat was hungry and I was pretty sure he had gotten to her, but the next morning she was nervously waiting for me to take her in to her brothers. She was very happy to be home. :celebrate
Then, tonight, while locking the chickens up, I found one of my Leghorns, seemingly dead halfway under a gate. When I got nearer, she moved, then slipped through and walked to the coop with a limp. I knew she had been attacked, but I'm not sure by what. Thankfully, the wounds were small, like it was a small animal taking advantage of her having been trapped. We cleaned up the wounds and put her in a crate in the coop for the night, so I could make sure the others wouldn't peck the wounds. Her tail was so dirty and ruined that we just trimmed the feathers off. It is near molting time, so I hope they grow back soon. This will be a good way to tell her apart though. Lol. The poor thing looks very silly without her long, elegant tail. :)

Gosh honey....you've really been through it today,haven't you?! I'm glad she's alive,so sorry she's not 100%. It's so hard to watch our loved ones suffer. Even if it's slightly,it's still so enormous. I'll be adding her to my prayers. As well as you. May you rest well and be ever so blessed.

Well I got my 200 set today. Now got to make it through the waiting period.

Glad they don't take as long as it did with my kids. That wait seemed like forever. Now that they're grown it's like where did the time go. My oldest is about to turn 30 in October.

200? You can't get rid of your chickens, you like this hatching a lot. I know the feeling.
wink.png
Good luck on finding a job. Serious, it's tough for some. :/

My oldest is 41. Where does the time go?!?

Wow everyone with losses. I'm so sorry. I am not that experienced but my last hatch was super sad. I feel really in the dark and nervous with these Marans. Tonight I rolled them and 3 felt cold. Can you feel the life or lack of life by touch?

I have hatched maran eggs before and I have felt those too cool eggs where you think that there is no way they can be alive. Then I would discover that those eggs have pipped and hatched. Dont lose faith. Dark eggs take that little bit extra time.

Gosh honey....you've really been through it today,haven't you?! I'm glad she's alive,so sorry she's not 100%. It's so hard to watch our loved ones suffer. Even if it's slightly,it's still so enormous. I'll be adding her to my prayers. As well as you. May you rest well and be ever so blessed.

This morning I let her out, since they free range she can escape any pecking if she wants. She ran right to the water and seems to be doing fine. I'm so glad.
smile.png

Gita..so glad that your girl is doing well. I love me a leghorn! I have two out there, and I love it when they decide to throw a monster egg..like yesterday, one laid a huge one. Have to feel a bit sorry for them when you see it though!
ep.gif
Big...big egg.

I candled last night. When I got these silkie eggs, I received 4 paints, and 4 BBS. Her eggs are usually all fertile, or one that may not be, she has fertile eggs! This time, I got some porous ones, and three are clear. Two paints and one BBS...clear.
sad.png
Hoping the others continue to thrive, so far, so good, 5 swimming little eyes in there.

Back
Top Bottom