September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

5 Texas A&M Quail have hatched quickly and easily! Unfortunately, one of my first pippers didn't make it. I noticed the chick looked really wet through the pip hole but I left it alone b/c I could see it breathing fine. An hour later I came back to check and it was opening it's mouth really wide like it was gasping for air--it's breathing became very irregular. So, I decided to help it out. But by the time I was half way carefully removing it, it stopped breathing. As I laid it down I noticed that it's yolk sac was not fully absorbed and it looked like part of an intestine was out of the body. Not meant to be...poor little guy!

Thanks Gita! I figured that's what she was. She's so sweet. Can you see the similarities between your baby and mine???
1f600.png
1f600.png
1f600.png

5 Texas A&M Quail have hatched quickly and easily! Unfortunately, one of my first pippers didn't make it. I noticed the chick looked really wet through the pip hole but I left it alone b/c I could see it breathing fine. An hour later I came back to check and it was opening it's mouth really wide like it was gasping for air--it's breathing became very irregular. So, I decided to help it out. But by the time I was half way carefully removing it, it stopped breathing. As I laid it down I noticed that it's yolk sac was not fully absorbed and it looked like part of an intestine was out of the body. Not meant to be...poor little guy!

Oh I'm truly sorry. It's so hard when that happens. Sounds as though you did all you possibly could. Have peace in knowing that he's with God with my precious little Hope.
1f60c.png

Yay for more babies! My olive eggs haven't had a single pip. They sure are cute little chicks! I think the mint egg that hatched yesterday was an Easter Egger. I had another Black FCM hatch a little while ago bringing my total to three. I have two yard eggs to lockdown tomorrow so I may put the unhatched into the main 'bator while I disinfect the hatcher then put them back in with the two yard eggs.

Here's to more little fluffbutts for us all!

So sorry for the one that didn't make it, but congrats on the ones that are!

I've got my first pip!

Found this article.  Sounds like good advice for any egg, not just marans.   :)     Learned something new too.   Don't candle too often, or handle too often, can cause problems with chicks eyes!  Even blindness!  What?   I learn something new on BYC often.   Yep. 

http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/incubating-maran-eggs/4541610539

Thanks for that link. The more I look at these marans sites I think my eggs are not " quality" marans. They aren't really that dark. Not much darker than my brown egg layers. I got them from a couple at church and really just want some nice chickens. So perhaps they won't have the harder shell issue. But I will stop candling for a week. Give them a break.

Ok Nevermind I'm nuts. I've got two pips!! I'm so excited. So here's the funny part. Me and DH are so excited and watching the eggs rocking and chirping we lose sight of the human babies! The toddlers emptied about 2 gallons of water from the water cooler and were slipping in puddles crying in literally 2 min

Back
Top Bottom