September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Ok Nevermind I'm nuts. I've got two pips!! I'm so excited. So here's the funny part. Me and DH are so excited and watching the eggs rocking and chirping we lose sight of the human babies! The toddlers emptied about 2 gallons of water from the water cooler and were slipping in puddles crying in literally 2 min

Lol.
smile.png

How exciting! Congrats on the hatching chicks!

Thanks for that link. The more I look at these marans sites I think my eggs are not " quality" marans. They aren't really that dark. Not much darker than my brown egg layers. I got them from a couple at church and really just want some nice chickens. So perhaps they won't have the harder shell issue. But I will stop candling for a week. Give them a break.

You said it as I was thinking it while reading, not as dark..? Maybe they will hatch better! Keep that humidity steady, and then only go to 62% for hatching. Remember, no condensation on the windows..a biggy. Can't wait to see how they turned out. I'll tell you how my two tries went this yr. when I find out how yours went. :p

Ok Nevermind I'm nuts. I've got two pips!! I'm so excited. So here's the funny part. Me and DH are so excited and watching the eggs rocking and chirping we lose sight of the human babies! The toddlers emptied about 2 gallons of water from the water cooler and were slipping in puddles crying in literally 2 min
Oh dear..lol..those little human babies can be fast! Faster than a chick can scoot across the brooder when noise surprises them, and they can scat when they are a couple of days old!
Will be checking in the morning for the good news on baby chicks.

I got x7 happy healthy mixed types of French Maran chicks hatch out of 21 Imported eggs. My success rate on ,y own or local eggs is about 95% hatch, but with the hassles of postage along with rough treatment despite the extremely good packaging, the rate with Imported eggs isn't that great.

Saying this I'm really happy with the chicks that have hatched as I can't get them in this country and these cute little bundles of fluff are excitedly investigating the brooder as I type.

@GitaBooks okay before I forget I wanted to ask why state you're in? I read you're planning on rehoming the little ones and I might be able to sneak them in since my hatch is going abysmally. 3 out of 21 left. 4 or so days to go. DH2B said I couldn't hatch anymore this year. He didn't say I couldn't be given chicks ;) plus we just lost our sweetest roo to a freak accident so I could drag the sympathy vote out of him. ;) just a thought lol what is little dude again? Sorry if I was too pushy. Chicken math is magnetically attracted to me.

As for everyone new to the hatch-a-long welcome of course you can join!!!
Congratulations on the babies all.

Updates:

The quail hatch went well...I was going to change their papers but hat to snap the picture of this Little Duckwing pullet is acting like a momma. I always keep an older chick or two in with the hatchlings to teach them about the feeder and water. That is a Delaware Bantam behind her and a week old quail on the right.

First 4 out of this Sept 5 - 6 th hatch. These are Wyandotte chicks. None of the Bantams have pipped, but there are several more Wyandotte.

Last edited:
Updates: The quail hatch went well...I was going to change their papers but hat to snap the picture of this Little Duckwing pullet is acting like a momma. I always keep an older chick or two in with the hatchlings to teach them about the feeder and water. That is a Delaware Bantam behind her and a week old quail on the right. First 4 out of this Sept 5 - 6 th hatch. These are Wyandotte chicks. None of the Bantams have pipped, but there are several more Wyandotte.
So cute!!

Well my Geese are being really mean towards the Plymouth Rock hen so I had to move her I made a little brooder pen for her and she is fine now she is sitting on 19 eggs is that to many eggs will keep updated

Last edited:
Well my Geese are being really mean towards the Plymouth Rock hen so I had to move her I made a little brooder pen for her and she is fine now she is sitting on 19 eggs is that to many eggs will keep updated

Your poor hen!! Geese are so mean, in my experience! I have yet to meet a nice goose! So ornery!

Well, my Quail hatch is going well and I've lost count of how many I have hatched! Still only the one fatality. Yes! And I candled my "Easter Eggs" from Ebay(Day 17) and 5 have internally pipped already!!! It pays to be attentive! Haha! So, they went into the hatcher with my Quail. Their air sacs are really large and I couldn't see any excess fluid in the eggs. But I decided to sit them up in the corners to be on the extra safe side! You guys are going to have to help me discern what these chicks are when they hatch! I bought an assortment from the seller and they could a bunch of mixed varieties!

AND I candled my Ayam Cemani eggs and 11 eggs of the 15 look like this(pic)!!! Whoohoo!!!

Back
Top Bottom