September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Wow so sweet! Thank you. Yea it's late. Don't these things usually happen like this? Ha! I try to keep the essentials on hand for our cats,chickens,ducks and goats. I know that whenever I've had either pink eye or a sty,a hot compress always felt so good. For the few minutes it lasted. I think hot would be too much for her. Warm is the safest way to go without hurting her,but still being of help. Oh yea! She's awesome other than that. You wouldn't think she's only got the one eye right now.

I also try to keep things on hand :) i know when they start going down they go with a hurry and sometimes illness is hard to see beforehand. Im not surprised shes still pushing to look good for you as thats how they behave, and its a good thing! :) I would think, the warm would help the sweeling your seeing. Your going to need to make sure she doesnt get dehydrayed, i know anytime, fever brings dehydration. Also, i personally would be scared for the flocks health and i would quarenteen, But, i only have 30 birds, total species count ;) so thats easier for me to say than lots of people!

You know ,I actually thought of gently rinsing it out with a plastic syringe. She would not think too highly of me for a loooooong while. Lol

:) i told you that you know more than me :D i would be mad at a giant for sprayin me in the eye too! :D (even a treat dispensing human!) i understand how some birds just arent great lovers of their people, and i hope she doesnt make things too hard! Shes probly going to be a handful, just in how shes looking out for the babes, my heart goes out to you!

You know these antibiotics always give a dosage amount for a chicken farm!!! The math for just one is almost impossible.
1f62a.png

HELP ME PLEASE!!! Ok I know I'm in the wrong thread but you are my friends and y'all are so so intelligent and knowledgeable. I just noticed that my black australorp,Wilson(who is raising three chicks),has an eye issue. Her right eye is swollen shut. And all around it is super swollen. I gently,with clean hands,opened the lid to see if her eye was actually gone,or still in there. Thankfully,it is inside and looks good. But when I opened it,a bit of clear liquid and puss is in there. Also I saw like a pus blob? Idk if it's actually something else that causing her irritation. Or if this is the result of an infection. I believe she's also got a bit of pus coming from her nostrils. It's dry but yellow. This is all recent!!!!! Help me help her! And protect the flock. I've got an antibiotic on hand labeled:Oxytetracycline HCI. Soluable powder. I've also got some penicillin capsules. For human use. I have a feed store very close if I need to get anything else. Opens tomorrow. Should I try a warm compress too? To help soothe,relieve pain,discomfort and itching??? Oh if I'd just stop typing and send this thing I'd get some awesome help and stop being a worry wart mama!!!!!! Oh God please protect my baby.

That sounds like sinintitus (spelling), and which in my experience is very very hard to cure. It is also spreadable to the rest of the flock.

I've found the best way to cure it is to totally cull the culprit that started it, and put Wazine in the water, I put about 2 to 3 oz per gallon of water for a week. That should immunize the rest I'd the flock.

Keep check on the rat to make sure their eyes aren't filled with that otherwise you'll need to cull them also.

Last edited:
Thank you. I now have 20. I just brought in three new chickens. And stupid me did not keep them separate first. They are very healthy "looking" though. Oh man I hope I did not do this to her.
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
aweeee you're too kind. I know certain things. And then there's a whole lot I don't know. I'm learning though. I love learning. Especially if it behooves my fur babies. Yea she's pretty independent as it is. I do believe she knew I was trying to help her earlier when I was trying to get a diagnosis! I'm going out to her now. Hopefully this will be caught early enough to get nipped in the bud. And by morning...she'll feel better. I'll treat her for...what ,7 days? Or is more like humans 7-10 days. Kinda depending on how she's responding? Ugh I hate this for her. She's a great mama. And an awesome layer.

Last edited:
Omgosh!!! That just made my heart sink. Oh my I hope this is not the case. It's not that I can't do it if necessary. It's just that I feel as though I may be the culprit.
1f62a.png
Can a chicken be a silent carrier of idk something that could then cause a sinus infection? I know if it's an actual infection you will see symptoms.

@Gloryjasmine
Hey Hun sending you hugs sorry I just got your message or I'd have been here sooner. You know I'm just beginning so I may not have the most sound advice. I believe I read somewhere that if a hen has an eye infection you can put teramycin(I think that's it) eye ointment in their eye just like you would a cat or kitten with an eye infection. You can get it over the counter at the feed store and a tiny dab will do. But please double check BC I know some antibiotics are bad for chickens.

Keep her separated from the rest of your flock! Hopefully the babies won't get this. Going to find something I really liked ...umm..on another site.
hide.gif

Be back.

Also everyone on a different note all together I just had to say that I got two eggs from my girls today both in a nest box and I'm so proud. So I think it was the heat. Wish I knew who else was laying though. That makes 5 I. the last two or three days. And a half dozen total.

On a hatching note tomorrow we'll be going into lockdown on my last three Buttercup chicken eggs. I hope they make it everyone please cross your fingers and pray they make it and for pullets please.

Back
Top Bottom