September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Is your hygrometer accurate?  20's is low to have small air cells...    Have your temps been low?  Low temps usually delay hatching.   Good luck!  I really want to see those buttercups!

Thank you!  My mother started that quilt before she passed away, and I'm going to finish quilting it.  My sewing room has become my brooder/incubator room, so it looked like a nice backdrop for chicky pics. :)

Busy, busy, busy!  Good luck!
[/quot

I thought I was yhe only one whose sewing room became the incubator/brooder room in the summer!

Quote:
Nope, me too! Sweet!
highfive.gif

One of my chickens got out of there chicken coop and my dog got to it I got there just in time before my dog can do real damage . All my dog did was took off all the feathers off the bottom of my chicken and she's still young about 5 mouths old and I washed her off with water and put her in a towel and after about 10 minutes she closed her eyes and stopped moving and I don't know what to do in holding her in a towel right now and I was wonder if she went into shock and what do I do ?
Oh no...She probably is in shock. Is she warm in her towel? I would just make sure she is void of chaios and safe. Sometimes, i think they get scared and have a heart attack or something. Hopefully, she will bounce out of this for you...Prayers to your chicken.

Quote: My sewing room is also the Christmas room and the room where eggs are kept in the auto turners until incubation. The extra bedroom is where the incubators are. I'm slowly taking over the whole house!

Quote: At 5 months, she is in shock, but could have bruising that won't show. Definitely keep her in a calm quiet area for a few days and monitor her.for sprains in joints. Give her a little unflavored yogurt to help with a stressed digestive system. Give her a baby aspirin. And if you have them, electorlyes in her water. Let me go look for the home made formula for electrolytes. Be right back.
Homemade Electrolytes
1/2 tsp salt substitute* optional
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp table salt ( I prefer sea salt )
1 Tbs sugar
1 gallon of water
Since you just have the one chick...mix your dry ingredients really well. Add 3/8 tsp to one cups of water. You can refrigerate the water and use a needleless syringe to dribble the water into the side of her mouth. If she drinks on her own, then that is the only water you offer her for the next two days.

Last edited:
Is it normal when the chicken is in shock to make a clicking noise every once in a while ??
She could be clicking because she is content, wrapped in her towel
or
Check her neck area just above the crop area where the trachea and esophagus run parallel to each other..
Can you feel a bubble when you hear the clicking sound?
1) If so she may have swallowed an air bubble. Since chickens don't burp, you can gently massage her crop to help it surface.
2) she could have an air leak in the trachea...that will heal.

I have silkies hatching as I type this and then I have cream legbar and sulmtalers incubating
smile.png

My silkies are due tomorrow..I heard peeping in the bator last night, just once though. Can't wait for your photos of your babies. Good luck on your hatch.

Oh no...She probably is in shock. Is she warm in her towel? I would just make sure she is void of chaios and safe. Sometimes, i think they get scared and have a heart attack or something. Hopefully, she will bounce out of this for you...Prayers to your chicken.

X's 2..actually three..someone else mentioned this. Let her rest up. Do you have a dog kennel..love love them for my birds. Use them for many different reasons. Anyway, let her rest up until she starts talking or chirping a bit. Moving around more. You will know when she is ready to go back out.
Bad doggie!

Yeah be careful in my experience once a dog learns to chase/kill chickens they are almost impossible to train to stop. As a child our neighbors German Shepherd used to come over and get our cocker spaniel to start in with her(he was a sucker for a pretty girl) and they finally had to bring us rubber bullets to shoot her with in the butt as she ran away. They had chickens too and couldn't risk her going after theirs. The bullets didn't cause lasting damage. But I guarantee she had a welt on her bum. She never came back and went after the chickens again though she did visit once in a while.

I agree with everyone else she could be in shock keep her warm and safe and when you do let her back out with the flock make sure they don't pick at her poor nakedness. I hope she gets better I know our great dane has occasionally chased the chickens and gotten her butt beat. The sheltie on the other hand gets chased by the chickens but that could be as much her breed as how I raised her. She loves every animal. Mice hamsters baby birds chickens cats etc. And small dogs. Shes getting better with big dogs but is still scared a bit as she was attacked as a six month old. Shes helped raise mice hamsters and bunnies and kittens. Not getting chased so much any more but we do have one hen that's kinda a nasty piece of work. She sleeps on the lowest roost but her attitude is above the highest roost. And she's a buff Orpington. What's up with that?

Just had to tell everyone a few more things. Thank you all for your support I really hope these eggs hatch too. I'm so glad I found all my hatching friends. WVDuckChick I know I'm dieing to see them too they look so cute online.

I'm not sure if its accurate(I never knew I needed to calibrate it until a week or two ago, still not sure how to go about that to be honest. Do I just get a reading from another thermometer/hygrometer and compare?) but the other hatches I did seemed to go fine if a little sticky on the first(stupid bator manual). So according to my thermometer and hygrometer everything has been super steady and nearly perfect. Like I said only the first three days was the humidity higher and they were in a very much cut up egg carton. Now they could have been unevenly being heated then but would three days make much difference? I just don't want to lose any more eggs. What I don't get is that someone said if there is condensation on the windows then they humidity is too high but my humidity is at 35-40% right now with lockdown(I'm trying not to drive it too high BC of the small air cells) but there is condensation on the window. Obviously I'm going to be calibrating this stupid thing but I just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom