September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Got a real surprise this morning, its day 18 n my Cream Leg bar eggs were due to go into lock down this evening. My surprise was 2 eggs partially hatched. So I just added some more water to the reservoir and put some damp kitchen roll under them then left them alone to hatch.

These are eggs that were collected daily from my own birds so I dated them as I picked them up at the end of each day and then put them in the bator so I know there only 18 days old hence the surprise.

Anyway fingers crossed for a good hatch.

Got a real surprise this morning, its day 18 n my Cream Leg bar eggs were due to go into lock down this evening. My surprise was 2  eggs partially hatched. So I just added some more water to the reservoir and put some damp kitchen roll under them then left them alone to hatch.

These are eggs that were collected daily from my own birds so I dated them as I picked them up at the end of each day and then put them in the bator so I know there only 18 days old hence the surprise.

That's exciting and surprising. I wonder if weather plays a part in incubation time.

I only set my eggs on Wednesday, so I won't officially candle until Saturday. However, one of the eggs is much larger than the others so I decided to candle it last night. I believe it's a double yolker. I know the chances of it hatching twins are slim, but I'm leaving it in there anyway.

I think that the weather does influence things I know it does with horses foaling as I worked in the Horse breeding industry for many years. We finally at long last got a few weeks of warm weather despite summer now being nearly over so I do feel this is a factor.

Anyhow I just checked on them through the bator top n there busy hatching the holes are bigger and they are still active and cheeping to each other.
Fingers crossed it looks like they may both be girls , I'll know for sure when there out properly and dried n fluffed up.

Good luck with your hatch.

Last edited:
Got a real surprise this morning, its day 18 n my Cream Leg bar eggs were due to go into lock down this evening. My surprise was 2  eggs partially hatched. So I just added some more water to the reservoir and put some damp kitchen roll under them then left them alone to hatch.

o

...same story with mine...oddly early!

Here are the promised isbar baby pics...

The chicken was 5 months and was killed by a dog sadly .

I'm so sorry for your loss. This summer while I was on vacation the gate wasn't properly closed and my dogs slaughtered my entire herd of long haired show guinea pigs. I was devastated! They also got my blue ameraucana hen and black copper Marans hen. So these chicks are part of the rebuilding. 18 chicks to replace 2. That's chicken math, right guys
1f600.png

I had a surprise guinea today. Was outside by the coop and I hear some cheeping and look down to find a baby running towards me. Hen nowhere to be found. So I scooped him up And put in the brooder. It's lonely. Put a pink pig in there but that's not very comforting. I'll post a pic when I can find the add a picture thing. No other activity in the nest. Saw the hen get back on the eggs when they went to roost.

Congrats! Are you using the Web browser to get on BYC? There's no mountain box on top of your reply? I need pics of the lonely guinea. So is that probably all you'll be getting?

I'm so sorry for your loss. This summer while I was on vacation the gate wasn't properly closed and my dogs slaughtered my entire herd of long haired show guinea pigs. I was devastated! They also got my blue ameraucana hen and black copper Marans hen. So these chicks are part of the rebuilding. 18 chicks to replace 2. That's chicken math, right guys
1f600.png
Oh...that really stinks. But, I like your math!

Back
Top Bottom