September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

OK I know we will but I still wish you could/would I think it would be such fun to have another crazy animal person come visit. Also it's a wonderful time of year to visit as all of the orchards around here are opening.

Lock down! Due Sunday.

Think i lost another blue orpington. We shall see!
Sorry about the Orpington...Looking forward to chickee pictures next week!

We lost one of the broody hen's chicks tonight. For a first time momma, I guess 5 chicks were too many for her to keep track of. One died, mostly likely from getting chilled while exploring the run. I sold three today, so she now only has a single chick to look after. The chick that couldn't stand properly is still alive and cheeping. I've been giving her sugar water and chick feed mixed with water every 2 hours during the day. She seems stronger and more alert, but isn't walking yet.
Sorry about the loss of your little chick. I think sometimes they do get lost or cold or stepped on. Are you doing any sort of PT with the little guy? You may need to work with him several times a day and run him through the motions his little legs need to move and strengthen up. I hope it works out for you as it is a lot of effort but is worth it when you can help out!

Okay no problem Hun look forward to the long story. Ya know this would be a good time of year to come up all of our orchards are opening up.

Eggy update. Nothing still think it's about time to pull them but we candled last night and the two undersized ones I swear have grown. But no movement or cheaping. Though I saw vessels but not sure they third egg was very obviously icky and removed. What to do what to do? I know the odd are like zero percent but I hat to give up on them ya know? Help?! Someone come eggtopsy these eggs for me idk if I can do these two. This hatch is just
sad.png
stupid idjit sending eggs that might not to have been. Thought for sure I would get at least one chick from the 21 eggs
I would not throw the towel in yet. Especially if you are not sure on what you see.

What day are you on?

So, today i have my third Svart Hona zipping. Should be out anytime. This is exciting as it is my first eggs that I am getting from my own Honas. Unfortunately, the first two Hona's had pink tipped toes and are throwing white on the wings and booty. So, they can go in my general population.

I also am going to set the Ayam Cemani eggs and naked neck lavendars that I bought from the auction on here. The air cells look excellent. Last shipped eggs I got ALL the air cells were busted. The whole hatch was a bust and Cemani eggs too...I wanted to cry.

I may set a few of my other eggs as well. Not sure which ones because I have a ton laying right now.

i set the lid differently last night to increase fresh air over the eggs and woke up to temp readings of 88.7%. ugh! so I stabbed a chopstick through the upper portions of the styro-bator to give ventilation holes and set the lid down again. hopefully the 9hrs of cooler temps haven't done permanent harm. we'll know soon enough anyway.

i set the lid differently last night to increase fresh air over the eggs and woke up to temp readings of 88.7%. ugh! so I stabbed a chopstick through the upper portions of the styro-bator to give ventilation holes and set the lid down again. hopefully the 9hrs of cooler temps haven't done permanent harm. we'll know soon enough anyway.

Eggs can be very resilient. They may hatch a few days later, though, so don't be surprised.

Best of luck!

I don't know how to quote here,

but thank you GitaBooks! I can see myself falling over with worry Sunday night, too!

Hang in there....the lows can be very forgiving!!!!

(Mine go through a cooling cycle each day that lasts 90 minutes...it can be set for longer if desired. This imitates the hen getting off the eggs.)

fl.gif

I have 29 eggs in lockdown. So far 8 have hatched, with a bunch more working on it.
pop.gif

On a side note, we had 7 beagle puppies born this morning too. Seems to be a good day to be born!

Back
Top Bottom