September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

I am hatching for the first time! This is my trail run but so far so good! Hatch date is the 3rd of October! I just missed the 'september side of the hatch a long!

The breed i am hatching out are Orust and Welsummers. There are 5 orust and 3 welsummers. I am just in awe of the beautiful growth of the embryos!

The next 3 photos are all of my guys. The egg photo is from last week, the baby chick Orust photo from a photo in Feb/March and the bottom photo of a 7 month old roo Orust. ;)

From This...

To this...

To this....

The biggest questions That i have is the humidity levels. My incubator runs normally dry around 35-40 depending on the day. When i have added water it only temporally increases the range and quickly i see it drop back down to the 35-40 range. I am worried if I am to place a sponge or another item in the incubator that it may hold bacteria and put the eggs at risk. I am using distilled water. Does anyone have any advice for the lock down phase?

Thanks for reading and happy hatching to you all!

I'm sorry :( I know how hard that is.

I had to help it. Something just didn't seem right. As it pulled it's head out and gently laid it down, it took 3 breaths between then and right when I placed it down, it instantly stopped breathing. There was half an inch thick worth of gunk around the whole inside of the egg. The duckling didn't finish absorbing the yolk. It was a chocolate

Day 16 here. My double yolker stopped developing. One other is a quitter. I started with 10. Down to 6. Hoping at least 4 hatch. 4/6 of the remaining eggs look very good still. Pullet eggs are proving to be as difficult as reported. I'm already planning for the next hatch, which is relieving my worry.

I'm enjoying the pictures and updates. I'm sad for the losses.

Day 16 here. My double yolker stopped developing. One other is a quitter. I started with 10. Down to 6. Hoping at least 4 hatch. 4/6 of the remaining eggs look very good still. Pullet eggs are proving to be as difficult as reported. I'm already planning for the next hatch, which is relieving my worry.

I'm enjoying the pictures and updates. I'm sad for the losses.

Best of luck with your eggs!

I'm done hatching for the year, but I totally can't wait for spring!!

How long after 21 days do you let the hen sit on the eggs

I usually let hem sit one or two days more. The only time I let a hen sit longer is when her eggs went dormant due to them getting cold during incubation.

I am hatching for the first time! This is my trail run but so far so good! Hatch date is the 3rd of October! I just missed the 'september side of the hatch a long!

The breed i am hatching out are Orust and Welsummers. There are 5 orust and 3 welsummers. I am just in awe of the beautiful growth of the embryos!

The next 3 photos are all of my guys. The egg photo is from last week, the baby chick Orust photo from a photo in Feb/March and the bottom photo of a 7 month old roo Orust. ;)

From This...

To this...

To this....

The biggest questions That i have is the humidity levels. My incubator runs normally dry around 35-40 depending on the day. When i have added water it only temporally increases the range and quickly i see it drop back down to the 35-40 range. I am worried if I am to place a sponge or another item in the incubator that it may hold bacteria and put the eggs at risk. I am using distilled water. Does anyone have any advice for the lock down phase?

Thanks for reading and happy hatching to you all!

Beautiful, beautiful birds! I love orusts.

Is the incubator getting too much ventilation? That could be causing the problem. For my incubator I used dishes of water and a dish of vermiculite (like they use in reptile incubators) which supposedly doesn't grow bacteria easily.

Lost the duckling I had to help hatch. Poor thing

I'm so sorry. We lost a chick we helped as well, it was so sad.

Went to put my Serama eggs into lockdown and already had 4 out of 7 pips! Two hours later, came back to this! They're early! And this little guy is peeping up a storm.

So adorable! Congrats!

Oh my goodness... c'mon little serama!!  What are you waiting for??  :)  

:D

Back
Top Bottom