September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Good morning everyone and congrats on the new babies. I'm on day 17 and the temperature dropped overnight. I can't get it to stabilize, totally spazzing out on it. So DH is buying the incubator I wanted before this hatch and I'm going to attempt to move them. I'm totally nervous about this. Any advice? I'm buying the Farm Innovators 4250. I currently have the Farm Innovators 2100 and it's cracked and scotch taped together. I feel bad even putting my babies in this murderous incubator.

Just get it up to temp and you're good. I would skip the turner and lay some drawer liner over the mesh. If the air cells look good put water in it as well. Mine works like a charm

Just get it up to temp and you're good. I would skip the turner and lay some drawer liner over the mesh. If the air cells look good put water in it as well. Mine works like a charm

OK thank you for your advice. Yay I can't wait to have a good incubator!! I saw my leghorn wiggling while I candled and the rest I can't tell so I hope the low temp didn't kill them. Air cells look good, but I'll candle I guess tomorrow once they get settled in.

Omg, Tractor Supply shows the model 4250 and says available in stores, but I even called first to double check and they had one left. I sent DH to the one about 10 miles away and he returns with the 4200. What the heck?! So I call the place, they don't have the 4250. So I call the TS that's like 15 miles away and they have the 4250 and he's off to get that one. I feel bad. He finally has an early day and he's on a wild goose chase. But seriously I can't stand that heating element and wafer on the old model. Oh and of course temp stable now but who knows when it's gonna act up again. I'll update on how awesome the 4250 is when I finally get my hands on it.

Last edited:
Ok, taped up the little crooked toe chick and moved all 11 to the brooder...

Then heard an egg chirping! Turns out we now have 12 chicks, another bcm hatched!!!
Looks like it might have trouble with its toes too...what causes this? I'm glad s/ he made it!

Had to assist a little bit, a part of the membrane was still stuck together and had dried a little, probably from when i removed the the other chicks.
Little bugger of an egg was in the corner i couldn't see any of the action! Almost turned the incubator off, good thing s/he chirped!

Ameraucana chicks

Two olive eggers (love their muffs!!)

Swedish flower hens!

I'll post photos of the bcm tomorrow with all 4 together
1f604.png

Cute chicks congratulating on the babies. Well tonight went out side to check on my chicks that hatched last month and found a snake at my door steps the snake took off to the chicken pen, scared to death of snakes had to take him on with just a flash light and a hoe because husband works off for months at a time but I got it before it got chicks.
1f609.png
Has anyone on here had problems with snakes and if so how do you keep them away?

Last edited:

Ameraucana chicks

Two olive eggers (love their muffs!!)

Swedish flower hens!

I'll post photos of the bcm tomorrow with all 4 together
1f604.png

Awe wow they're so cute! Did they hatch early? I can't remember but I think high temps might cause that. I have had one have that and it hatched late like yours, like maybe it's feet were caught up on something?

Cute chicks congratulating on the babies. Well tonight went out side to check on my chicks that hatched last month and found a snake at my door steps the snake took off to the chicken pen, scared to death of snakes had to take him on with just a flash light and a hoe because husband works off for months at a time but I got it before it got chicks.
1f609.png
Has anyone on here had problems with snakes and if so how do you keep them away?

That's terrifying! I have scorpions and feral cats. It seems everyone has some predator. Hopefully someone has advise for you on snakes

1f609.png
ah that's aweful!! we have little gardner snakes in our backyard, that's about it...i'm cringing at the thought of when our little boy finds it funny to bring them inside.
hide.gif

glad your chickies are safe though!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom