September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

TurkenMomma

Songster
5 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Howdy all! I know there isn't probably many of us yet but I'm currently waiting (impatiently) on some ebay eggs to arrive this week. Looks like I'll be hatching around the end of the first week of September. I ordered some Easter Eggers and then a rainbow mix of some freakish looking chickens- which are my favorite!

A while back, earlier in the summer, I traded 4 roosters for 2 laying hens. I quarantined them for about 4 weeks and then slowly started integrating them. They must have had something I couldn't see, because instantly my younger flock got sick. I lost 1 hen I had received in the trade, then a little polish crested, and then a cuckoo chocolate orpington- by far my most expensive egg! I have another polish that seems to be on his way out. My older flock has been segregated (just by where their coop is located vs the teenager coop) so they are fine. I think my husband felt bad for me, so he told me that I hatch some more. I have definitely learned my lesson! Here's what I have left!

3 Silkies
1 Silver lace wyandotte
1 cinnamon queen
1 buff laced polish
1 easter egger

As you can read, I love a mixed flock and I like the weird looking chickens! I will be hatching in a HovaBator Genesis and a Brinsea Mini Advanced. I have had excellent results with both in the past. Last school year, I got about a 90% hatch rate with my Genesis with my 3rd graders! My little Brinsea has done just as well... but with the shipped eggs this time, well, we shall see!

Hatching eggs is my favorite thing ever! When it's hatch day, I broadcast my incubator live via UStream so my 3rd graders can see it on our smartboard (and I don't have to miss out on anything!)

Welcome! What are you hatching? What are you hatching in? When is your hatch day?

Last edited:
I am so excited to be joining you in your journey. I will be getting 12 Lavender Ameraucana eggs on Friday and setting them on Saturday. I am using my moms broody Black Australorp to hatch. This is the first time we have done a hatch of any kind and we are so excited. I think that puts us at September 10th for hatching day.

Those will be pretty! I had a lavender Orpington and he was gorgeous. Sadly, he was a he and had to find a new home. I've never done a broody hatch but I have had a broody raise my incubator chicks. Did a little switcharoo one night and it was successful. Glad to have a hatch a long friend!

I am so excited to be joining you in your journey. I will be getting 12 Lavender Ameraucana eggs on Friday and setting them on Saturday. I am using my moms broody Black Australorp to hatch. This is the first time we have done a hatch of any kind and we are so excited. I think that puts us at September 10th for hatching day.

I'm am hatching eggs right now already have 7 out. After everyone hatches I will be incubating black sex links in about a week. So looks like I will be joining y'all for September. Good luck to everyone!!!!

Hi everyone,

I too am from the August hatch along. I have 7 shipped eggs due 8/22 but the count is down from 24. USPS was really rough with them and is paying for replacement. I should be getting the new eggs around the 24th.
Both this hatch and the next are silkied serama, bantam Easter eggers, and a few serama X banty EE's. I haven't had chickens for a few years so I'm really excited for my tiny babies.

I should be getting my black sex link eggs Wednesday or Thursday of next week I'm getting them from my mama so don't have to worry about shipping. Good luck to all the September babies

I will be picking my eggs up on saturday from a local breeder
yippiechickie.gif

I will be hatching:
swedish flower hens
wheaton/ blue wheaton ameraucanas
olive eggers
and blue copper marans

this is my first time incubating...hoping it will go well!
I have a Hova Bator 1602N without the fan.

i'm so excited!

Last edited:
I will joining this Hatch-A-Long.

I'm not setting until September 1st though.

I will be using my GQF cabinet incubator. Although it holds 288 eggs I won't be setting that many this time around.

I will be setting my own eggs from my flock of Naked Necks (Turkens), I also have 1 crossbred hen (Black) that I'm using for size improvement. I have 21 hens and am planning on setting around 65 eggs, Ill sort through them and pick out 25 or 30 that I want to keep for myself and sell the rest of them.

I have several color projects going on with my Naked Necks. These hens have been terrific layers averaging 4.5 eggs a week per hen.

Last edited:
Welcome everyone! One set of eggs is lost in the mail somewhere... Shipping hasn't updated since it was scanned in initially. :( My others should be here Saturday. With my small amount I might end up just using my little Brinsea. I'm so sad about my lost eggs!

Sorry about the lost eggs. I had some once that I never could find scanned in in any hub. They arrived on the day they were supposed to though. I don't know what all goes on in route, but I think they sometimes get in shirt and don't scan packages in right.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom