September Egg Swap--Sign-ups closed--check posts for shipping updates!

my mother is hatching my eggs at here house. she has my bator there... i think she likes to see what comes out...
she says i have three there. don't know any other details yet.

My sussex eggs are in lockdown, along with some bought wellies from AussieSharon
fl.gif
These were my second batch, the other was at a friend's house. Apparently she didn't have any hatch, don't know what happened there.
hmm.png
She had said that 2 of 2 EE eggs were good, and 3 of 6 BR eggs were too. When she told me that, they were on about day 14. Then nothing
hmm.png
Her reason was that she's 'never had luck with shipped eggs'..... Oh well, I just hope she doesn't kill all the guinea eggs she's hatching for me!
fl.gif

Well, my eggs went in on the 24th, late. I had 3 dozen eggs I set the same day, early from 2 different shipments. Pulled a bunch halfway, locked down at least 25 eggs, including 10 from the swap. The 2 remaining light brown eggs got pulled later (Chunky! Eww!) when I got my awesome amazing spiffy neato groovy keen incredible new flashlight that lets me see the tiniest of veins in blue eggs...

And so on day 23, I get 5 babies from one of the batches of earlier that day...banty. I give more time. I have 5 pip and die from other batches, and one that starts crumbling that isn't alive: pre-boom! I pull it quick.

Nothing. This morning I wake up to two of the lovely white eggs from this swap pipped and dead. Later I come home to a brown that did the same. I candle- this is heartbreaking! One brown is still alive, active. I have to wait! No peeping, no pip. Never a sound out of these.

I'm not dying anymore...I'm dead. I did an eggtopsy on one of the white ones. It had pipped through the veins and bled heavily. It had lots of remaining white in there, gelled up. I've never seen that before! The ones that hatched were normal, just late- not goopy or anything. They were all in the same conditions the whole time.

I am keeping my prayers for the one remaining brown egg!! I feel awful! I've been running 6 incubators since July and haven't had this much trouble. Makes me sad!

OH NOOOOOOOO!!! I so wonder what happened!!!!!! so you only have one left out of the ones I sent? I am heartbroken!! Why would that happen? Could it be something I did with the shipping? I waited to have the freshest possible....did not do anything out of the norm...no one touched or handled but me. I have strong healthy chicks now from same hens....most hen hatched though. Oh I am so sorry, I was so excited right along with you my incubator hatches just don't seem to go too well. I have a cheapy incubator at home but my other eggs I sent out to people seem to be doing well so far. I sent out another dozen about three weeks before yours and she got a 90% hatch same eggs. Oh I feel so bad
sad.png

Quote:
No- I think it had everything to do with the weather here changing. I haven't had any experience with anything but hot and mild incubating, and right after I got the eggs, the temps hit the 40s. I've hatched hundreds of chicks, but not through Fall...and it was more like Winter suddenly. I know the incubator is supposed to manage the temp and I'm supposed to watch the humidity, but it was a struggle if I walked away for even a minute- and I had to, of course. I'm just not sure what I could have done differently...and I have 4 dozen eggs going now for other people and a few of my own, so it's awful to feel like I don't know what to change when I have felt great about baking my own up until now. I was getting 95% out of our home eggs, and I lost 4 in this batch we're discussing...only ever lost one prior to that!

I think it must have to do with the humidity of the basement- it must be different now, but I don't know what it was before, so I'll just have to adapt. I need to hook up the house humidifier for Winter, anyway.

I think the eggs looked wonderful for the most part- one of the white ones quit right after I put it in the hatcher I see now, and the rest had sad attempts at pipping. I wish Ihad been there, but I don't think I'd have seen they needed help...

hit.gif

I'm so tempted to keep going down to look at the last guy...I'm going to sleep and pray he'll be fine tomorrow! May he hatch overnight!

hit.gif
I only had one egg develop, and then he pipped and died. The duck eggs never developed either. I do have three adorable white Silkies that hatched over the weekend-I did a trade with Ahappychick for Silkies and Runner eggs in exchange for a quilted table runner that I am working on today.

It must be the weather!

I wish I had a truly climate-controlled room that didn't change with the seasons...but that would make me an addict, right? ...as if I am not yet...

Chooks...you could always make your basement climate controlled- you know, like they do in those fancy museums where they keep documents and the humidity and temperature are controlled down to like a half a degree. And while you're at it, you could install an alarm system to go off if anybody messes with your eggs. ....ok, yes then I think you would truly be an addict!!!

It's fun to dream though! Lol
tongue.png

I have one sussex chick hatched from my swap eggs, the others don't have any action yet.

I think cooler weather hatching has a lot to do with factors other than just the temp. The air pressure is probably lower, we know humidity is! I didn't have any luck with chicken eggs at all last winter, only quail did any good for me. That's one reason why I'm really wanting to stop hatching for now, it's a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom