***SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG come join in***

Ok I'll join. I have coturnix eggs in the incubator and they should hatch the fourth I think. I should be getting 2 dozen serama eggs today...not sure what to do since they will still need to be turned when the quails go on lockdown. I have a second bator I made but I can't get the temp exact. Maybe I'll work on it today. I need some aluminum foil, wire mesh and a fan. A thermostat would be awesome too *sigh* . glad to have some company on this journey
smile.png

I'm in, too!!! I've got 14 SPPR eggies set to hatch on Sept. 4th! Can't wait for Day 18 to candle and see just how many babies are heading into lockdown. On Day 10, we had at least 11 doing well. Soooooo close...
pop.gif

I am 7 hours shy of having 6 full days pass. Yes I am counting it by hours which is probably why it feels like it is taking FOREVER. Anywho I have 18 eggs of dubious origins due on September 11. I wish one would come early cause my daughters b day is the day before and she would be so excited but that probably won't happen. lol My dubious origin eggs come from an elderly friend who's grandson decided her flock needed variety. I know most of them are from marans and maran mixes.

I guess I am going to join in
hide.gif
. I just ordered a Brinsea mini eco and some eggs online. The bator is shipping out today and eggs on Monday. Getting some (real) Americaucana and Black Copper Marans eggs. I have fallen for the beauty of the egg basket and want some more diversity in color. I am super excited yet sort of mad at myself at the same time. I really only have room for 2 or 3 more chickens with our current setup but have 10 eggs coming. Hopefully only half will hatch and then I hope I get at least one female of each breed to keep. I have a feeling though that it is going to be hard to get rid of the extra babies as we get attached pretty quick. Hopefully there willl be some Utah folks that will take a few off my hands if I miraculously get a good hatch rate. Here is to hoping I can do this and at least two hatch.
celebrate.gif

Now to prepare for the DH telling me I really shouldn't get anymore until we move and are legal.
tongue.gif
I gotta have something exciting and fun to take my mind off the family drama on his side that is going on....and this just fit the ticket.
woot.gif

Last edited:
I've been waiting for the Sept Hatch-A-Long thread to be started.
tongue.png

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance with 7 bantam Cochin eggs (shipped from a BYCer) due to hatch around Sept 6th.
I have a Brinsea Mini Advance EX with 7 lavender Orpington eggs (shipped from a BYCer) due to hatch around Sept 10th.
I have, in waiting, a second Brinsea Mini Advance EX for 7 Black Jersey Giant eggs (shipping from a BYCer) which I anticipate receiving late next week. (Same source as the very first eggs I hatched last month, 5 little olive-eggers in the brooder right now.) So, around 9/24 or so, those should hatch.

I am officially able to articulate that I am, truly, insane, now. Nuts about incubating!

I did not candle the eggs under my broody BO - who started this whole hatching thing for me, back this past June! - nor did I candle ANY of the eggs in the incubator for my very first hatch last month.

However, I got curious last night and candled one of the bantam cochin eggs..... didn't know what to look for, didn't see anything that shouted "life" to me. Picked up one of the smallest eggs - right next to the one I'd looked into - and when I put it in to the candler, I almost died from surprise: veins and ... a heartbeat????!?!??!!?

OMG, OMG, OMG. There is LIFE in that egg! I can see it!

I will officially candle all the eggs this coming Sunday.

Count me in! I ordered 2 sets of silkie eggs from BYC auctions (ultra1classic and mrobbins) I am so excited to have these eggs, you just don't know! They are due to hatch sometime between Sept.15-17. There are 45 eggs in all, and they are already dear to my heart. Now I'm going to worry about them every day until they hatch! Hatching eggs can be both fun and nerve wracking at the same time!

Back
Top Bottom