bun.gif

jumpy.gif

bun.gif

jumpy.gif

bun.gif

jumpy.gif

celebrate.gif

Joining September's hatch along OH YEAHHHHHHHHH

I let mine rest at least 12 hours. You can slip them under your broody at night if she is sitting on her nest all night. Also I sneak them under my broodies, sometimes, in the mornings when the broody gets up to eat. Just keep a eye on her for a little while to make sure she doesn't push them out.

Bad news for my last chick to hatch for September... My Marans chick hatched out fine yesterday but must have snagged it's belly on the wire bottom of the bator and I found it dead this morning with a puddle of blood in the bottom of the bator. It bled to death.

Quote:
Is the rest period so that the air sacs can rise to the top? I went ahead and put them under my broody but I nestled them into the soft shavings blunt end up and gently set the broody back on top of them. I think they will stay upright all night since she's sleeping on them. Oh, and another silky joined her in the nest. She might have help incubating these. I hope so, 12 eggs are a lot for one little silky to cover.

When they hatch (optimistic all the way!) should I leave them under the mom or take them out and put into a brooder. What is the prevailing opinion on this?

Last edited:
day 26, 3 duck eggs left, one externally pipped yesterday and has finally internally pipped today, AWESOME! I am awaiting a beautiful baby duckie, I cant wait. Then the second has externally pipped earlier today and the third, has good veining but I do not see much if any movement and it has been this way for atleast 2 days. So I am concerned with this one. I believe it has spoiled.
sad.png
But on the plus side hopefully I will have two, I NEED two, I dont have time to be a ducky buddy LMBO

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Why don't you send him on over to me ...
wink.png

Rozzie: Those buttons are super cute!
love.gif
You still haven't told me what color they are ...
wink.png

Do you mean what color they'll be when they are grown? That's a good question. I honestly don't know. I figure the dark one pretty much has to be a blue face. Probably single factor, but I haven't tried to tell for sure. One of the others might be a Cinnamon, but time will tell. As for the third? Your guess is as good as mine! So long as they grow up healthy I'm happy. I am kind of happy, though, that none were the original wild color. ALL FOUR of the last ones I hatched out were. I'm happy, though, because they were all girls. So, even if I ended up with all boys this time, I'll be able to pair them up okay. They do not have either parent in common, so the genetics aren't too close. Though, honestly, I'd rather end up with more girls. I'd rather have that in surplus than males.​

Back
Top Bottom