***SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG come join in***

I read somewhere here to candle at 8 days , then read no do it at 11 days. So I am confused. I guess I will candle at 8 days or later. Ok and good to remember to candle before lockdown. I don't intend to try too much candeling as I really don't know what I am doing. Everyone's chicks are so adorable.

I don't know what to expect really. I know they will not all hatch, just hoping for a good number. Then I know that usually about half are roosters and I can not keep those. So hope I get enough girls to start a small backyard hobby flock.

Quote:
good luck
i candle off and on through the whole incubation but i dont get ride of any of the eggs until after day 10 usually, unless of course they are smelly then i get ride of them quick!

well out of 8 i have one dry baby i think its black (bbs) and 3 more with pips...i dont think my broody is going to be a good mom though she isnt really sitting on the eggs and wont let the baby under her btw she only has 3 eggs bc she wasnt sitting on the others so 2 in the incubator have pips.

Quote:
yeah!!
wee.gif
still waiting for one for mine that are due tomorrow

Best luck!
fl.gif
big_smile.png

Quote:
Only certain breeds can be sexed by wing feathers. Some [Welsummers for one] both sexes have 2 rows, some - both sexes have even rows. Sorry, I can't remember which breeds can be feather sexed
he.gif
I DO remember that they are usually sex-linked hybrids. There is a good you-tube video to teach how BUT they use a Welssummer chick [all welsomers have the uneven rows
duc.gif
] I usually go with bright red combs and /or early wattle develoement, plus stance, but they aren't fool-proof either. If she lays an egg, it's a pullet, If s/HE crows -- probably a cockerel
lau.gif
gig.gif
bow.gif

Quote:
What breed babies are those? Cute! Congrats on your hatch!

Ha! They are a barnyard mix! The rooster was a White Crested Black Polish. And the mothers are RIR, BR, Red Sex Link, and a Black Sex Link. I'm really not sure which one is from which hen but now that they are drying I will have to take some new pics because they are looking alot different! Our rooster actually tried to go after our dog and he didn't make it out of that ordeal
sad.png
And our BR, which was my 4 year old daughters chicken, was attatcked by a neighbors dog and didn't make it either. Needless to say it was a rough 2 weeks for us.
hit.gif
So I grabbed some of the eggs out of the fridge and the ones from the nest box and tossed them in the 'bator. I'm pretty anxious to see how our babies turn out.

frow.gif
Hi everyone! I have been playing 'catch-up'. Got home from vacation late last night. DD put my 13 bantam ameraucana eggs in lock-down Saturday pm. Hatch-day tomorrow but have 4 pips [maybe 5] tonight!
wee.gif
2 lavs & 2 [or 3] BBorS.
celebrate.gif

Sending good hatching vibes to everyone in the Sept. Hatch-Along, and congrats to everyone with new fuzzy-butts!
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
caf.gif
pop.gif

edited for spelling - eh

Last edited:
Quote:
What breed babies are those? Cute! Congrats on your hatch!

Ha! They are a barnyard mix! The rooster was a White Crested Black Polish. And the mothers are RIR, BR, Red Sex Link, and a Black Sex Link. I'm really not sure which one is from which hen but now that they are drying I will have to take some new pics because they are looking alot different! Our rooster actually tried to go after our dog and he didn't make it out of that ordeal
sad.png
And our BR, which was my 4 year old daughters chicken, was attatcked by a neighbors dog and didn't make it either. Needless to say it was a rough 2 weeks for us.
hit.gif
So I grabbed some of the eggs out of the fridge and the ones from the nest box and tossed them in the 'bator. I'm pretty anxious to see how our babies turn out.

I been looking EVERYWHERE LOL J/K trying to find pics of your DRIED off fuzzy butts LOL I kidding but I am VERY ANXIOUS to see what the LIL' boogers Look like! does 1have a crest? mohawk??? hehehehe

Congrats on Everyones babies ! it makes me wanna put more Eggs in bator!!! LOL It is taking all I've got not to!
lau.gif
smack.gif

BUT I can't have babies in my house all winter so I can't incubate anymore the ones I just hatched will barely have all their feathers b4 snow flies here!

Back
Top Bottom