***SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG come join in***

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Good Luck!!

I lost a baby last night
hit.gif
. I have no idea why the little one didn't hatch out. I went in grabbed it out and opened it up. It Pipped on Monday, Zipped on Tuesday, and today it gave up. When opening it, it is soo depressing b/c it was fully developed and the yolk was completely absorbed. I have one that has been zipping since yesterday and is still alive but, I am getting really worried
idunno.gif

Beth G. :

I lost a baby last night
hit.gif
. I have no idea why the little one didn't hatch out. I went in grabbed it out and opened it up. It Pipped on Monday, Zipped on Tuesday, and today it gave up. When opening it, it is soo depressing b/c it was fully developed and the yolk was completely absorbed. I have one that has been zipping since yesterday and is still alive but, I am getting really worried
idunno.gif

Maybe the other one just wasn't strong enough to go beyond the zip and gave up. I feel bad for you.... Hopefully this one will make it...​

Uh-oh, looks like someone is shrink-wrapped! One of the chicks (the first to pip, actually) made itself a nice big hole in the egg but hasn't been able to move for over twenty-four hours now. Looks like I may need to go help. I think only one other egg is pipped, so I don't feel as bad going in and getting it out, but it's still scary! Especially after I ended up with several shrink-wrapped ones last time. I think what may have happened with this one is that the membrane dried out just where it made the hole and now it's stuck to that little bit of dried membrane. One chick hatched last night without issue, so I don't think this is a problem applying to any of the rest of the eggs.

I may try the trick of moving the incubator in the bathroom, getting it all steamed up in there, and then opening it briefly while the humidity is high in the bathroom (and scooping out the two chicks in there, while I'm at it--might as well!).

I'm a little concerned about the rest of the eggs--no pips yet! But then again it is just officially hatch day today (and it hasn't been fully 21 days 'til this evening), so we'll see. By no means am I abandoning hope for the rest of the eggs yet!

Last edited:
Okay, sorry to post back-to-back, but I helped out the chick who got stuck.
smile.png
Perfectly healthy baby, the membrane really was only stuck in one place that was preventing the baby from moving and zipping. Only took a second or two to get chickie out of the egg and then take the part of the membrane that got stuck off the chick's wing. A cute black and white one! I'm glad this was just mild, not like last hatch.

By the way, I fully approve of the bathroom humidity trick! I got it so humid in the bathroom that the humidity went UP when I opened the incubator.
lol.png
If you ever need to help out a chick, this is the way to do it!
thumbsup.gif
I feel like I have that part of hatching figured out now, which is a big relief. Risking the other chicks to help one out is no good, but this makes it so it's not anywhere near as risky to open the incubator.

I'm up to three mama-hatched seramas and three incubator hatched seramas so far! (Plus the one mystery bantam chick from my wildlife rehab group.)

Silver Phoenix -- glad that baby made it! Thanks for the idea about the bathroom, too. My hatch is due any moment. I keep getting up to go check, but no babies have pipped yet.

Congrats to everyone that has chickies!
ya.gif

And
fl.gif
for everyone that is still waiting the inpossible wait!!!
I am in lockdown with my 42 button eggs!
fl.gif

So nervous!!!
Hatch day is Saturday.
celebrate.gif

It looks like I have a pip in progress! The little thing isn't quite through the shell yet. It's right at 16.5 days, so we're right on track here. (Coturnix quail...)

Back
Top Bottom