***SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG come join in***

Quote:
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
clap.gif

September hatch, so far:

3 button quail eggs set -- all 3 hatched & doing well. 2 days old.

12 coturnix quail eggs set (today is hatch day!)
--One egg damaged & patched with glue -- successfully hatched with a little help (it would not have been able to zip through the glue which was over 1/3 of the line he wanted to zip through based on where he had started).
--4 more successfully hatched!
--3 that probably won't hatch. They felt "light" to me. This is not an incubator problem, but a "mama quail" problem.
--4 more that might hatch yet. None have pipped, though. They only started a few hours ago, though, so there is plenty of time.

Here are the first four as of about 45 minutes ago:

63147_100_2883_2.jpg

Here is the newest little guy.

63147_100_2901.jpg

A few minutes later:

63147_100_2905.jpg

He'll be ready to move into the brooder soon.

Here are the button quail that hatched the day before yesterday.

63147_100_2890.jpg

Still no pips or anything on the remaining eggs. Here's hoping for a couple more! (And, here's hoping that at least 3 will be female. However, I may not get that lucky again. )

I did an experimant. I put 4 fresh eggs and 4 eggs from my hens that where in the refrigerator into incubation. I let the cold eggs warm up first. What I got was 1 chick from the fresh eggs and 3 from the refrigerated eggs. But either it was high humidity or the fact that they where refrigerator chicks, but they where very wet. I normally keep my humidity around 50% through out eht entire incubation and hatching process. These eggs I had a hard time keeping the humidity up to 50% it was usually lower around 45% and with the change in weather the temps where also off, Low mostly around 96 and 98 where the lowest it dropped but it would go up in the day time to 100. Near the end of incubation just before lock down the temps and humidity stabilized and maintained 100.2 with 52% humidity. My hatcher stays at 100.2 and 60%. The first egg managed to zip almost all the way around before it drown. I had decided to check to see if it was having a problem because it wasn't out yet and when I picked it up it was very damp around the zip. The chick was barely moving so I decided to help it out before it died but I was just seconds too late. I decided to open up the others before the same thing happened to them. They are doing fine. They where also very wet. I dapped some of the moisture off them and put them back in the hatcher to dry the rest of the way. The one that was a fresh egg hatched on it's own. I ended up with 4 chicks and 3 are refrigerator chicks.

Another thing is they didn't even pip till day 22 and I blame that on the temp during incuabtion. It all can be attributed to the bad conditions they developed under.

So about the chicks. They all had a splash silkie roo and 2 had EE hens and 2 had a produciton red hen. they all but 1 have black skin. All have 5 toes and feathers all the way to their toes and walnut combs. One is solid black, skin and all and it came from a fridge egg of the Produciton red. The brown one is also from the produciton red and the 2 light lavender are from the EE's. The other 2 in the pics are from a previous hatch.

So here they are.

0930101353a.jpg

By emvickrey at 2010-09-30
The one in the left corner and the black one in the back left are from another hatch

0930101353.jpg

By emvickrey at 2010-09-30

Rozzie: Your babies are so adorable!
love.gif
What colors are the 3 buttons?
love.gif

emvickrey: That's EE X Silkie chick is SOOO adorable!
love.gif
I was sitting here oowing and awwwing!!!
love.gif

My eggs are due Saturday!
yippiechickie.gif

EE X Silkie do make pretty chicks. My Production Red has always produced some beautiful chicks no matter what Roo she was with. She was with a Phoenix once and those where beautiful also. I may sell my EE flock and replace them with Production Reds.

Oh my gosh oh my gosh. I didn't post earlier because I really didn't hold out any hope for our hatch. However, my daughter insisted on continuing and we have chicks hatching tonight! So far one chick out ... these could be silver cuckoo, golden cuckoo or black copper marans! We have another set in the incubator set to hatch in october and it looks like we'll have a few chicks until those hatch! I can't believe it! Pictures will come soon, thanks to my daughter who just had to say I told you so!

17365_100_3058jpg_marans_cropped.jpg

So ... any ideas on what kind of marans it is? I've never seen marans chicks before ... I'll keep you posted on what else we get.

Back
Top Bottom