September Hatch-A-Long!

I have another White Leghorn cross hatched from the 2 egg batch now due - the other is pipped, and one from the next batch has already pipped. And here are some new pics of my precious Huastec and Colloncas that were assisted hatches.

I have no idea why his leg looks backward in this pic - its not, LOL! The dark chocolate brown/black is the Huastec and the other is the Colloncas. I will paste info on the breeds at the bottom for anyone interested.

From here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/823212/colloncas-huastecs-quechuas

The Huastec is one of the rarest breeds in the world. It's an ancient black-boned fowl from southern Mexico and Ecuador.
The Huastec produces lots of medium to large eggs, is calm, confiding, personable and fairly quiet.

Whereas the breeds of some roosters, like the Leghorn, tend to fiercely exclude other roosters from access to hens and shelter, the Huastec is a cooperative breeder. They can be run in braces; three to five roosters to accompany a little bevy of hens. Each rooster has a favorite hen and vise versa. The Huastec is incredibly cold hardy and make wonderful parents. The roosters are just as attentive to the chicks as the hens.

Colloncas (very nice line)
Colloncas are one of the original and most ancient breeds of the Mapuche Indian culture of Chile. They produce generous numbers of colourful eggs and like many South American fowl lay well into the winter. Some hens will produce a pale sea foam hued egg, others robin blue, ash grey and even lilac. A single pair of Colloncas may produce hens that each lay a different colour.

Colloncas are best known for innate tameness. They enjoy being held but unlike Silky fowl, which also enjoy human companionship, the Colloncas is completely winter hardy and can evade predators ably. It is a fairly strong flier and one of the more quiet breeds. Colloncas are very good at tick and fly control and are traditionally kept with sheep and llamas.
The Colloncas is one of the two primary ancestors of the Araucana. It is advisable that the poultier keep at least two roosters with a flock of hens, three is the ideal number as Colloncas have strong pair bonds and the roosters work in cooperation to defend and chaperone hens and chicks. As a rule, true Colloncas roosters do not fight with one another and are never aggressive with people.

So cool! I love all these babies, but the SA's are very cool.

ANd of course Max is going to. We are going to tour a local free range chicken farm. But Max has to stay in the car of course. I am aslo selling some of my chicks. Bittersweet.

how was the excursion?
give Max and kiss from Auntie Melanie
love.gif

I've gone and bought more eggs!! hubby doesn't know yet....you think I have an addiction??

are you expecting in Oct? I want a partner in crime lol:barnie
LOL! Do you REALLY even have to ask???? In my OTHER incubator I still have 6 Marans crosses, 11 White leghorn crosses, and 6 Crested Cream Legbar x Golden Laced Wyandotte crosses. Met a new neighbor who is happy to take any culls I decide I don't need (read that as enabler) so I just can't stop myself, LOL! And for sure if my new fancy Schmancy (or any other) blue egg layers finally start laying I WILL be hatching those just on principle, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom