September Hatch-A-Long

HELP!!!

One of my eggs exploded in the incubator while I was out to dinner and the contents got on two other eggs. Not much but some splatter. I removed the eggs but what can I safely use to clean the eggs that got hit with the nastiness? Most of the "goo" has already dried on the shells. I wiped what I could with a dry paper towel. I can't get the really dried on stuff off though. Should I use an Emory board?
:sick

This stinks, both literally and figuratively.

:rolleyes:

Second day of lockdown and it's killing me! Just anxiously waiting for the first egg to start rocking. Is every hatch going to be like this? Or is it just because it's my first hatch that I'm this nervous?

I think the first is the hardest and it seems to get a little easier after that... at least until I buy expensive shipped eggs that I really care about and then I am a wreck!

You are almost there!!! Hang in there! I am on day 19 too. I have one early bird and no sign from the rest... must relax...

Oh so my hideaway hen (nameless, any names??) has now got 6 chicks, 2 pipped and 15 eggs! I hope she has a 100% hatch! I would love to see a mother with 23 chicks!
love.gif

Hideaway hen = Heidi

HELP!!!

One of my eggs exploded in the incubator while I was out to dinner and the contents got on two other eggs. Not much but some splatter. I removed the eggs but what can I safely use to clean the eggs that got hit with the nastiness? Most of the "goo" has already dried on the shells. I wiped what I could with a dry paper towel. I can't get the really dried on stuff off though. Should I use an Emory board?
sickbyc.gif

This stinks, both literally and figuratively.

roll.png

I had that happen my last batch with pheasant eggs I bought, several times. I did not find the goo made much difference to hatching just smell!!

I cleaned it as best I could. The main thing is to make sure the splattered eggs do not stick in the egg rack, I had that happen and when went to move them it broke a piece of shell off..It was ugly, and the baby died.

I feel ya, Coopcop! This is my first hatch ever too -- the anticipation is crazy! I didn't sleep hardly at all last night and kept getting up to check on them. It got very cold here last night (we're in KS too, near Lawrence) and we actually turned the heat on because I was afraid the incubator would get too cold. Then, I was worried that the vents would be blowing on the eggs, so I had to go and check that. I just kept popping up all night
tongue.png

I feel ya, Coopcop! This is my first hatch ever too -- the anticipation is crazy! I didn't sleep hardly at all last night and kept getting up to check on them. It got very cold here last night (we're in KS too, near Lawrence) and we actually turned the heat on because I was afraid the incubator would get too cold. Then, I was worried that the vents would be blowing on the eggs, so I had to go and check that. I just kept popping up all night :p

I have had a few minor temperature swings, but nothing too bad so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My wife is rolling her eyes over my enthusiasm for chickens since we moved out in the country. We have plenty of room and I just love working with them. I am thinking about another hatch after this. Maybe order some Welsummer eggs and some barnyard mix eggs from a friend of mine. I can already tell I am going to keep the incubator running several times a year.

Good luck with your hatch and don't forget some pics of the fuzzies!

I had that happen my last batch with pheasant eggs I bought, several times.  I did not find the goo made  much difference to hatching just smell!!

I cleaned it as best I could. The main thing is to make sure the splattered eggs do not stick in the egg rack, I had that happen and when  went to move them it broke a piece of shell off..It was ugly, and the baby died.

Thanks for the advice Duluthralphie. The eggs luckily came off the carton without breaking. I'm praying the bloom does its job now more than ever and protects those chicks. I'm sorry for your lost chick.

I have had a few minor temperature swings, but nothing too bad so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My wife is rolling her eyes over my enthusiasm for chickens since we moved out in the country. We have plenty of room and I just love working with them. I am thinking about another hatch after this. Maybe order some Welsummer eggs and some barnyard mix eggs from a friend of mine. I can already tell I am going to keep the incubator running several times a year.

Good luck with your hatch and don't forget some pics of the fuzzies!

Its so darn addictive and fun... My DIL was out with me last week, she was picking green beans from my garden while I tended to the chickens, I am normally pretty careful when others are around but forgot she was there, went into the coop and was talking to one of my broodies...lol... I looked up and she was standing there with a What the...? on her face....

Busted!!!

Ok.. Crazy day but 10 little fuzzballs are in the brooder (they were playing havoc in the bator) 8 more have external pips and I decided since my room humidity was close to 62 to candle the remaining 13 and all but one have internal pips or positive movement near the air cell!! repositioned the eggs for the next round of hatchamania
big_smile.png

Two chicks so far, and all three of the other eggs have pipped! So much for sleeping last night, but it was totally worth it to watch them hatch! So who else has stayed up most of the night watching their babies hatch? :)

Back
Top Bottom