Serama Chickens

Eggie and Me

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Southern California
Can anyone send me info regarding Serama Chickens?? 9-19 oz? How tall? What about egg laying. I saw a pic of one and think they are absolutely beautiful.....
love.gif

Serama, a breed that I have found that is like none other. So bold, so proud, so gentle, such a joy to own.

The roosters...they will chose their mates, and another rooster (REGARDLESS to size) had better not get within sight of their hens. I'll never tell my main roo he's not 10' tall. And yet, calls the little tiny babies over for food and gently lays it down for them to find.

The hens....they are very much the typical hens. Laying their eggs almost everyday. Skipping a day, here and there, but ready to sit on those eggs and become Mommies! And very good broodies they are, a favorite of mine to slip a few Silkie eggs under. I know they will get the job done. They are excellent foragers for the young.

The little chicks, well, tiny as they are they are not flighty, not noisy, only the tiniest you've ever seen. I held 6 day olds chicks in my one petite hand only yesterday. I couldn't wait to show my husband our new additions.

The smaller the size, the harder to get those tiny shipped eggs to hatch. In my experience the air cells have a hard time staying intact after many miles in the care of the postal service. It can be done, just don't expect the hatchability to be superb, good or even fair. This Spring, out of 30 shipped eggs (2 batches) I only had two chicks to hatch. No, I never complained to the person I purchased from, rather inquired about some nice culls. I find the 'B' size breeders to be the way to go for shipped eggs.

A nice little article to consider when you are looking for Seramas: http://www.scnaonline.org/art3.php That is an informative website on the Serama breed.

Do take your time in finding Serama eggs. There are some great ones on BYC, but really do your homework....wear out that Search button up on that blue bar if you do choose to purchase from other BYC'ers!

If you chose to own Seramas, you will never be disappointed. Be ready to fall in love. They are our families favorite of all my breeds of chickens.

Claudia

Last edited:
laying is highly variable- some hens lay like champs and some barely lay at all. I have one lovely little girl that lays every day - a tiny useless yolkless egg : (
They are sweet little chickens usually though I have one silver laced hen that is spastic- she is setting now or I couldn't get near her. Luann Keller is a serama evangelist.. if you are anywhere near upstate SC she will hook you up-LOL. I will be glad to do the same once I get few more hatched. I only have spare roos at the moment and not too many of those. But I have 6 girls setting and an incubator running so soon I will be overrun again.
karen in sc

How old do they have to be to start laying regularly? I have a rooster and a hen. My hen since I got her has only layed one egg and that was about three weeks ago. Also how much space do they need for a home. Pictures will help. Please and thank you.
big_smile.png

Wow! Where did you find this old thread? Pullets generally start to lay at four or five months old. The smaller ones and the birds with really short backs don't lay nearly as well. I have a fairly extreme looking hen who is two years old, that I bought two months ago. I just got my second egg from her yesterday. My hens who are more moderate in type are pretty regular.

Back
Top Bottom