Serama chicks

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
My 2 serama hens hatched their chicks yesterday.
big_smile.png
Between the 2 there are 11 chicks. They are in the same pen and are sharing the mothering duties. I don't know who belongs to who. They are so cute! I hope to post pictures tonight. I need to know if I should leave them with their mothers or should I bring them into the house and put them in the brooder? :|Their pen is in the shop which is closed and they have a heat lamp on. Its suppose to get into the 30's tonight. I really don't want to lose any.

Georgia

Ah, such a wonderful sight! They are sooo cute! Those mamas will take good care of their babies, don't worry. And with the light and all those shavings to snuggle into you have nothing to worry about. They'll be fine. And great pic by the way!

teapot.gif

(...sprinkling ... sprinkling... oh heck this is for SHARI so guess I better get one of those BLOWERS
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
lol.png
Very Funny Diana, Shari, I am keeping everything I can crossed for a good hatch.
Feather, What absolutely great pics. By all means keep the babies with the moms. They take such good care of them and teach them things we can't possibly teach. I have some 3 month Silkies who still don't go into the coop without coaxing from me each night. The Sizzles ( same age) raised by mama and daddy are in there and on the roost each night before I go out. My Silkies are still snuggled up on the floor and don't seem to understand what the ladder up to the roost is in there for. Mamas teach what to eat and what not to eat, when to run for cover and when to come in out of the rain. It just warms your heart to see them with their chicks.

Try to find a good nutrishious snack and start to hand feed at 3 to 4 weeks and in that way you can tame them. Hard Boiled eggs are really good.

Good luck with your babies and how lucky you are to get such a great hatch.

Last edited:
I thought that you would like to see the chicks at 5 days. That are all doing great and the moms are doing a great job too. Even Papa Tut is getting in on the act. Its really funny to see him put food out for the chicks and then strut off like he had done something wonderful.
smile.png

DSCF1985.jpg

DSCF1984.jpg

DSCF1975.jpg

Notice the chick matching the rooster's pose!

Back
Top Bottom