Serama Drama!~ Malpositioned Serama chick externally pipped

#11 is out of the egg. Just needed a little help getting unstuck from the dry membrane. Looks good!

0AD6CF78-2407-4C38-8B42-A2423566B109.jpeg

F562DB05-3554-4832-B1F7-8092D2AF5B8A.jpeg

0DD85419-5488-48EE-8DDC-A9F1AC72931E.jpeg

Yolk fully absorbed, blood vessels were all dry and he looks good I think! Back in the incubator to fluff up.

Also helped the other chick out, blood vessels were all dry but she was for sure stuck in the membrane. I carefully chipped away the egg shell to make sure the membrane was ready to come apart. Didn’t see any vessels. The membrane was dried to her back and abdomen. Was able to coax it back with a q-tip dipped in warm water. Very slowly and carefully helped it off of her. She is very vigorous, chirping and struggling to get out. Looked like the yolk was absorbed. Once out of the shell I continued to help her out of the membrane And noticed she has a tiny bit of something around her navel, perhaps absorbed the yolk but not fully closed yet? Adding a photo here. I was careful not to pull the membrane away from this area. See the left side of the below photo. She is back in the incubator like this. Would appreciate any insight!

92A358DD-54D3-427F-904E-24ED10D65C4D.jpeg

#11 looks great! Adorable! The other it looks like just has embryonic waste attached. Was definitely ready to come out. You did great! Good job! Keep me updated. As long as there isn't any blood on that one she's ok. You could put betadine one the navel. Not quite healed but it probably will heal overnight. Keep in the incubator until navel is healed. Make sure there isn't anything that it could catch on and pull out. Maybe put a towel down?

I should also add- you didn't help that one out too quick. It's just hard sometimes for the navel to heal when they are malpositioned and smashed in the shell. Not your fault!

I should also add- you didn't help that one out too quick. It's just hard sometimes for the navel to heal when they are malpositioned and smashed in the shell. Not your fault!
Thank you so much! Still in the incubator, the navel looks good now and they’ll be ready to join the other chicks tomorrow. Here they are this evening, I pulled them out to check on them (while the next egg, egg #1, started pipping 😂)
2EA324FE-2A06-434F-94BD-89F62C618209.jpeg

So cute. I have my first Seramas hatching this weekend so this is getting me excited!! Have fun with your fluff butts!!
Awe, yay! Enjoy! I have read a lot about how hard they are to hatch, but honestly if I’ve gotten such a good hatch rate in this dumpster fire of an incubation, I have to disagree. LOL. Another hatched yesterday, two eggs left in the incubator and both are alive and well. If all goes smoothly we’ll have 8 babies out of 11 eggs. Not bad!

I’d love to see photos of yours when they hatch! Since they don’t breed true to color, it’s always a fun surprise what you’re going to get!

Yes!! Only 4 out of 26 eggs made it to lockdown for me (usps failed big time 😤) but I think more would have made it if they weren't shipped. One of the four is an Ayam Cemani 🤗 can't wait to see my babies!! I'll share pics for sure.

Back
Top Bottom