Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
UPDATE ON MY 4 LITTLE WEE ONES:

As of tomorrow, my seramas will be 3 weeks old !!! Yeah !!!
At what age does everyone think it would be okay for me to take them outside in a bird cage and let them soak up some of this nice springtime sun
we're having here. Of course I'd be out there with them the entire time and wouldn't let them out of their cage. I just thought that some fresh
air and sunshine might brighten their day and give them some naturally occurring vitamins. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
-kim-

Here's some recent photos of my four babies. Notice the feather caps on both shoulders of the more golden of the yellow chicks...they stand
straight up and I think they make him look like he's wearing that getup Tina Turner wore in that movie with Mel Gibson...Mad Max
of Thunderdome...lol !!!

I
HERE'S JASPER AND PIPER. PIPER WAS THE LAST TO HATCH AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN MORE ON THE SMALLER END OF THE SPECTRUM, PERHAPS A 'CLASS A' EVEN. YOU CAN JUST SEE HER HEAD PEEKING OUT FROM UNDER JASPER'S WING. THAT HOW SHE SLEEPS ALL THE TIME. ANYONE WITH A SLIGHTLY UPTURNED WING AND SHE JUST HEAD BUTTS HERSELF THE REST OF THE WAY IN UNTIL SHE'S COMPLETELY COVERED BY THEM AND ALMOST INVISIBLE.

@mightymax I LOVE your babies!! Are two of them frizzles? They are so sweet... I am sure if it is reasonably warm you could take them out for a bit, obviously you just don't want them to get too chilled, but they should be fine. They would just start huddling together if they are cold. That little Piper is cute, it is funny how they have such unique personalities.

Thank You so much, darkbluespace!
Yes, two of them are frizzles. I purchased these eggs specifically in hopes that I would get at least a frizzle or two and I got my wish...50% were frizzles !!!
Thanks again.

-kim-

Congrats @Bama1 - I got my replacement Serama eggs yesterday and set mine last night too! 2 of 8 had detached air cells, sadly.

Beautiful babies @mightymax !

Oh and I broke down and am buying a breeding pair...to be shipped next Monday. So even if my shipped eggs don't hatch I will hopefully have a pair that will give me some babies too.

Set my replacement eggs last night! They were sent Mon. and arrived Wed., thank goodness.

Stupid me, I DROPPED ONE. You can imagine the horrible inhuman noise I made. Super expensive eggs, and I dropped one. I checked the yolk and didn't see a bullseye, so it was probably a loss either way, but MAN. One also got smashed in the mail, thankfully there was an extra, but my fingers are still weak so my fumbling stupid self dropped one. That leaves 11 in the incubator. Can't wait to candle these... I feel like everything that could go wrong so far has (lost in mail, damaged in mail, dropped) and I really hope that's over with.

All the little cockerels are learning to crow. The one who bloomed latest can't seem to figure it out.. while everyone else goes PRRRR-CHEE! he just goes "aa!" I kind of hope he has one of those squeaky crows some Serama boys have. He's been at it for a week now and still hasn't made a fraction of the progress on learning to do it as the others.

Got my other eggs in the mail yesterday morning and set them last night. That makes a total of 57 serama eggs.
big_smile.png
ep.gif
You don't mess around! That's a lot of little birds, but if you consider that a Serama egg is supposed to be 5 to 1 large fowl egg, then 57 eggs is only like 11.4 large eggs and that's not very many ; )

I like chicken math.

Congrats @Bama1 - I got my replacement Serama eggs yesterday and set mine last night too! 2 of 8 had detached air cells, sadly.

Beautiful babies @mightymax !

Oh and I broke down and am buying a breeding pair...to be shipped next Monday. So even if my shipped eggs don't hatch I will hopefully have a pair that will give me some babies too.

Cool, where are you getting the pair from? You should get plenty of babies from them!

Set my replacement eggs last night! They were sent Mon. and arrived Wed., thank goodness.

Stupid me, I DROPPED ONE. You can imagine the horrible inhuman noise I made. Super expensive eggs, and I dropped one. I checked the yolk and didn't see a bullseye, so it was probably a loss either way, but MAN. One also got smashed in the mail, thankfully there was an extra, but my fingers are still weak so my fumbling stupid self dropped one. That leaves 11 in the incubator. Can't wait to candle these... I feel like everything that could go wrong so far has (lost in mail, damaged in mail, dropped) and I really hope that's over with.

All the little cockerels are learning to crow. The one who bloomed latest can't seem to figure it out.. while everyone else goes PRRRR-CHEE! he just goes "aa!" I kind of hope he has one of those squeaky crows some Serama boys have. He's been at it for a week now and still hasn't made a fraction of the progress on learning to do it as the others.

Well, you're in the egg droppers club now. They are so darn tiny they can be hard to hang onto! I hope they do well!

I was in the feed and seed and they had chicks in... I could hardly believe how big they are! I am used to the tiny tiny babies!

See I'm not the only one that knows how to divide the number of eggs actually in the incubator by the actual space that they occupy in the incubator! And they don't need and 8'x8' breeder pen either... :D
:eek:   You don't mess around!  That's a lot of little birds, but if you consider that a Serama egg is supposed to be 5 to 1 large fowl egg, then 57 eggs is only like 11.4 large eggs and that's not very many ; )

I like chicken math. 

Oh noooooo,my could hear the gut wrenching howl, I've made it before too. I just broke a leghorn egg last week. Poor thing.

I am searching for some adults locally, I REALLY want to get into showing these little darlings and there is a show in April here in Alabama.
Congrats @Bama1
- I got my replacement Serama eggs yesterday and set mine last night too!  2 of 8 had detached air cells, sadly.

Beautiful babies @mightymax
!

Oh and I broke down and am buying a breeding pair...to be shipped next Monday.  So even if my shipped eggs don't hatch I will hopefully have a pair that will give me some babies too.

Back
Top Bottom