Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Do you just raise seramas for fun or do you show them in tabletop?

@darkbluespace At least the seller of the Serama eggs said she would replace the eggs for the cost of shipping, which is fair. She did say fertility was checked and was good. Not sure if I will bother getting more...I'd like to, but the disappointment is no fun. Been on a Serama hatching page and lots of people have very very low success rates with shipped eggs. Another site I was on was a discussion that pretty much came to the conclusion that if the eggs were fertile and died early there would have been a blood ring because once incubation starts development is very fast. Ah well. Will let y'all know if I decide to get more Serama eggs. Thanks for inviting me to keep you updated with my other eggs!

Glad I am not the only clumsy one that drops hatching eggs. Later in the day I went to cook an egg for lunch and almost dropped it too! I've been "off" all day getting up before 5am, an hour early just threw me for a loop.

Glad you checked that broody too darkbluespace! As good as they are, there is always some unpredictability. YAY, more chicks!
My broody hatched eggs in December, here in GA it's relatively dry in December compared to summer anyway lol. I think summer will be hard to hatch with the high humidity here...but haven't tried yet.
Poor little stick chicky got very early baths! Glad she's ok. (Babies are all "she" to me unless they prove otherwise lol).

My first batch of eggs must have gone missing in the mail... he's resent some today, thank goodness, because those were seriously expensive. 'bator is running empty and I'm getting all twitchy to be hatching something, I keep going to refill the water pots or check the temps for no reason.

Chip is old enough to be fertile now. He's very interested in my cochin hen, but she wants absolutely nothing to do with him. I might try AI to see what the cross would be like, they are both my very favorite chickens and I'd love to have a "grandbaby" pullet from them to add to the layers. That wouldn't be until after this coming batch of eggs hatch, so they'd probably be getting out around when my spring chick shipment arrives. Would posting about serama cross hatching be welcome in this thread, or should I keep it to pures?

Here's first born Chip failing to seduce practically everything but still trying his best:
0.jpg

@darkbluespace At least the seller of the Serama eggs said she would replace the eggs for the cost of shipping, which is fair. She did say fertility was checked and was good. Not sure if I will bother getting more...I'd like to, but the disappointment is no fun. Been on a Serama hatching page and lots of people have very very low success rates with shipped eggs. Another site I was on was a discussion that pretty much came to the conclusion that if the eggs were fertile and died early there would have been a blood ring because once incubation starts development is very fast. Ah well. Will let y'all know if I decide to get more Serama eggs. Thanks for inviting me to keep you updated with my other eggs!

Glad I am not the only clumsy one that drops hatching eggs. Later in the day I went to cook an egg for lunch and almost dropped it too! I've been "off" all day getting up before 5am, an hour early just threw me for a loop.

Glad you checked that broody too darkbluespace! As good as they are, there is always some unpredictability. YAY, more chicks!
My broody hatched eggs in December, here in GA it's relatively dry in December compared to summer anyway lol. I think summer will be hard to hatch with the high humidity here...but haven't tried yet.
Poor little stick chicky got very early baths! Glad she's ok. (Babies are all "she" to me unless they prove otherwise lol).

I got some good eggs from Kentucky on ebay and they shipped very well all the way to the west coast. They were all fertile and 5/7 developed... it was me that had a problem hatching them. I would buy from them in a heartbeat and they are much closer to you.

I ended up hatching 15 chicks though that little sticky one is not doing so hot. She is tiny, I hope she pulls through.

My first batch of eggs must have gone missing in the mail... he's resent some today, thank goodness, because those were seriously expensive. 'bator is running empty and I'm getting all twitchy to be hatching something, I keep going to refill the water pots or check the temps for no reason.

Chip is old enough to be fertile now. He's very interested in my cochin hen, but she wants absolutely nothing to do with him. I might try AI to see what the cross would be like, they are both my very favorite chickens and I'd love to have a "grandbaby" pullet from them to add to the layers. That wouldn't be until after this coming batch of eggs hatch, so they'd probably be getting out around when my spring chick shipment arrives. Would posting about serama cross hatching be welcome in this thread, or should I keep it to pures?

Here's first born Chip failing to seduce practically everything but still trying his best:
0.jpg
Chip is hilarious!! Is that really his crab impression???!!! I hope your eggs come soon, they are surely the worst thing to get lost in the mail, short of live birds or animals that is.

I hope you do get some Cochin/Serama babies, if she will cooperate! This our hatch-a-long so we can hatch anything we want to on here! I just started with Seramas because I was crazy about them and they are unique, but you may have noticed I am also hatching quail and ducks and anything else I am inspired too!

@PolePole I don't have any Seramas YET...but working on it. They have so much personality. I just requested replacement eggs from the person that sent me the 1st eight that didn't develop, it's try again time. If I can't hatch any I will start looking for birds to buy. Have to start somewhere, depending on my luck I would like to breed to sell in my area...they are very hard to find here and I know several folks around that would like some! Maybe show in the future but that's a ways down the line.

@Skink I love your video!

@darkbluespace Getting 5 out of 7 shipped eggs to hatch sounds better than I hear from most people. Good to hear you hatched 15, that's wonderful! Sorry to hear sticky chick isn't well, hope she makes it.

Probably no news from me until I receive the new Serama eggs and check them out. Quietly counting days, waiting for deliveries and hand turning silkie & sizzle eggs this week.

-Rose

Tickled that I found this thread! I set 21 serama eggs Sunday and I have two dozen more arriving Thursday. I'm an experienced large fowl breeder, and I have bantam orps, but their eggs are almost a medium size. This will definitely be a new and exciting adventure..... If the postal service didn't scramble them. I can't wait to candle!

Tickled that I found this thread! I set 21 serama eggs Sunday and I have two dozen more arriving Thursday. I'm an experienced large fowl breeder, and I have bantam orps, but their eggs are almost a medium size. This will definitely be a new and exciting adventure..... If the postal service didn't scramble them. I can't wait to candle!
Welcome, I'm glad you found us! That is a good number of eggs, I hope the post was/is gentle with them!! I am excited to hear how they are doing!!

Back
Top Bottom