Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
A few years ago my friend bought two silkied serama pullets. She thought they would be fluffy like silkies, they were not. She was very disappointed in them. She still has them and they are robust and bully her silkie and the dog. During the time she has had them she acquired and lost 5 silkies who were always freaking out about something. Now she says the silkie she has left turned mean.

I'm tired of her complaining about breeders for everything that has happened to them - even years later. You will never admit to her mistakes , and there were many. I like to point out to her, her seramas are spunky, healthy and very entertaining. I think she would be so much happier with her seramas if she'd get over her wild dreams for a perfect silkie.

The pure serama I've kept have had narrow feathers compared to other chicks I've seen. Plus serama do not have the crests or beards that silkies do. I think that all plays a part in the not as fluffy problem. I admit that the one silkied serama roo I use to have did look deflated, And he did get ragged looking in wet weather more easily than the silkies I had. It's also one of the reasons I want to out cross the silkied serama to a wider feathered bird.

I LOVE the serama personality. Which is why I want to keep them again.

The box on the first shipment was pretty damaged so I got USPS to pay for replacement. The second shipment had a pristine box, but scrambled eggs. I didn't pursue replacement on those because I felt it would be harder to prove damage.

I am glad some were replacements! The hatching bug can get expensive, especially when shipped. I have been really lucky that everything I have wanted I have found locally or within an hours drive at least.

I have calmed down a bit... I guess I had high expectations of my eggs! The two that appear to be developing were one straight feather and one silkied. I think that is what took me over the edge after thinking I would have a bunch of silkied eggs developing.

When I sell eggs, I really make sure they are fresh and fertile because people invest a lot in hatches and it can be a pretty emotional thing for people. None of us can control the damage done in the mail, but we can make sure they have the best chance possible.

I totally understand. I set 48 silkied serama and serama X EE but only got 2 to survive hatch, but the only ones I'm ****** at are USPS and that's about as useful as being mad at the wind when it comes to hatching eggs going through the post

I'm close enough we could do trades............. "if"  we can ever get silkied birds to hatch that is. The ultimate goal of my project is to create a serama sized bird with silkied feathers and a pea comb that lays blue/green eggs.

I also might be moving back to portland next year if my hubby gets a job he applied for with the state. 

Is it the swap your talking about down in corvallis? 

What color egg was the EE Serama mix hatched out of?

A few years ago my friend bought two silkied serama pullets.  She thought they would be fluffy like silkies, they were not.  She was very disappointed in  them.  She still has them and they are robust and bully her silkie and the dog.   During the time she has had them she acquired and lost 5 silkies who were always freaking out about something.  Now she says the silkie she has left  turned mean. 

I'm tired of her complaining about breeders for everything that has happened to them - even years later.  You will never admit to her mistakes , and there were many.  I like to point out to her, her seramas are spunky, healthy and very entertaining.  I think she would be so much happier with her seramas if she'd get over her  wild dreams for a perfect silkie. 

I don't think I would keep seramas and silkies together. Most of my silkies are so sweet and calm, I think the seramas have a really different temperament. Especially the roosters are pretty intense. Serama roosters have extra testosterone I think, like a Napoleanic complex. ;)

I did have a bit of good egg news today and that is my nine month old white silkie's eggs are finally fertile and I believe, by my paint rooster Payton! I am dying for more paint babies! They are so spotted and adorable!

Getting more serama eggs fromTJChickens. Thats who I got eggs from before, hoping it goes better this time. They are only going to charge me the cost of shipping because I've had such bad luck with USPS.

Thanks. I am not sure if I am needlessly upset. I set a bunch of my eggs at the same time and they all have good size embryos already. I am just really bothered to think someone would charge so much $ per egg if they are old or infertile. What I am really thinking is that if someone is going to charge that much per egg, that they better be fresh and fertile!

Maybe between the two of us we could come up with a pair.
sad.png
. sorry for my sarcasm, I am just really disappointed and mad right now. If only a few develop, I will be asking for more eggs!

I just had a more positive thought... I know castle delight is selling Serama chicks at the upcoming poultry swap. I wonder if she is selling any silkied chicks?! I haven't been to a swap yet but keep hearing about them!

Laura Castle hatched a ton of chicks the past month, over 50 (she's posted a lot on facebook about it, lol). I'm sure there will be some silkieds, just get there early. The swaps are fun, I vended at the spring swap this year and will be vending again at the winter swap in Eugene next Feb. with my seramas.

I also have a silkied cockerel I hatched out last Oct. He isn't show quality and I don't have a mate for him, but if you or Fluffyserama is interested, you could have him. No charge. You'd just have to pick him up in Eugene. Right now he's just a pet here. I'm not in a rush to re-home him but I can't use him in my breeding program as all my silkied girls are full siblings to him.

Back
Top Bottom