Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

This is my second attempt at hatching serama eggs (first was a mix with silkie eggs as well). Messed up my humidity and lost 2 serama due to shirk wrapping, and several silkies too. 

I ran it set at 100.5 which ran right around 100 the whole time. I kept humidity at 45-50% until lock down and bumped it to 60-65%. 

If I had not opened the incubator to take out the 5 chicks, I would have ended up with quite a few more chicks and wouldnt be incubating again... So will leave these be as long as possible this time and they'll just have to spend the first 48 hours of life in a messy incubator :D

I always take out chicks as i hatch them in my turner and never had them shrink wrap

I always take out chicks as i hatch them in my turner and never had them shrink wrap
It was our first incubation. Had lockdown at 55-60% humidity.

It's super dry here in Illinois. Even with a Aprilaire system in our heating system for whole house humidity, we get 39% humidity at its best.

So from that drop is all I can say what caused it. All eggs that shrink wrapped, the chicks were fully developed, pipped a single large pip hole and were wrapped fairly tight inside the egg. 2 serama chicks and I think it was 6 or 7 silkie chicks. All appeared 100% developed with yolk all absorbed.

So not sure what else would have caused it. In fact the one serama that hatched, was halfway zipped and I chose to help it out of the shell since we had several chicks shrink wrapped. Thankfully it's growing and healthy.

It was our first incubation. Had lockdown at 55-60% humidity.

It's super dry here in Illinois. Even with a Aprilaire system in our heating system for whole house humidity, we get 39% humidity at its best.

So from that drop is all I can say what caused it. All eggs that shrink wrapped, the chicks were fully developed, pipped a single large pip hole and were wrapped fairly tight inside the egg. 2 serama chicks and I think it was 6 or 7 silkie chicks. All appeared 100% developed with yolk all absorbed.

So not sure what else would have caused it. In fact the one serama that hatched, was halfway zipped and I chose to help it out of the shell since we had several chicks shrink wrapped. Thankfully it's growing and healthy.

Seramas are notorious for pipping and then not hatching out, or not being able to pip at all. I think they are just difficult to get humidity just right for during incubation. Anyway, glad you are here and good luck with your hatch! Let us know how things are going!

I had a crazy week this last week, with all the snow and we lost power for 3 days! I had four young Silkie chicks that I kept warm with hot water heated on the wood stove. At night I put them under my Serama mama, but she already has 5 babies so she was keeping 9 warm at night!! I think it was a bit of a stretch, but everyone made it.

I also had about 30 Silkie eggs incubating. After a day, I was ready to give up on them. My son asked in a sort of offended way " why would you give up on them, you should keep going." So I kept them warm with my hot water bottle and pieces of wood heated on the wood stove, in a cooler with blankets. After 3 days, 19 of them were still alive. They are due in about a week, so I have no idea if they will hatch!

I am relieved to have power again. I am still recovering from the exhaustion.

Just found this thread. Time to read up! Marking my place. :frow

(incubator on day 13, with 6 of 12 shipped (cross-country) seramas, 1 of my own seramas' eggs (new layer, the day I set) and 12 bantam cochin eggs from my flock)

Does anybody have idea if pure white Seramas , will throw different coloured chicks if breed to coloured serams?

Last edited:
Does anybody have idea if pire white silkies, will throw different coloured chicks if breed to coloured serams?

White x white silkies can hatch a variety of colors so I am sure it would be the same if bred to another breed. I have some Seramas that have a dominant white gene, but apparently silkies are more likely to be recessive white.

Back
Top Bottom