Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

My normal incubation humidity is about 35% but with the serama eggs in the incubator I was watching it a little closer and noticed it was hovering around 45-50%, I'm unsure why it was that high unless it had to do with my incubator being pretty full and I had other eggs which although older had the same hatch date as the serama, so I figure humidity probably went higher than my norm just due to the eggs which were reaching hatch stage. I did have a few slimy chicks, so my end humidity was probably a little too high but I had read serama needed higher than normal humidity.

I left the eggs in the incubator, in the rocker turner, still turning until I had external pips..Then moved them to the hatcher. I managed to hatch a high % and those were shipped, so I viewed it as successful. 6 out of 11 set eggs (removed some clears and failed to develop eggs, 8 went into lockdown)

There was one egg/chick I would have lost I think if I had left it alone. Everyone else had internal pips and this one did not, but I could tell it was alive. So I made both his internal and external pips and left him alone until everyone was out. Then I gave him a hand. At the time I broke thru his membrane he was really sucking the membrane in and out. I just found where his beak was and split the membrane there (there was a little blood). But made sure I gave him enough room to get his beak thru and able to breath. The little guy is alive and kicking and seems every bit as strong as the ones which hatched on their own. He's my smallest chick and has been from hatch, so I'm glad I helped out.

IF I were to hatch more shipped serama eggs I think I would be even more hands on than what I was. I'm pretty sure I could have saved one of my 2nd round of set eggs if I had intervened as I did with the one I helped internally pip. Would prefer them to hatch naturally, but seramas have that reputation as being really hard to hatch. Out of my 2nd set 8 were shipped to me, 3 made it to the end but one was DIS on about day 17, so 2 went into the hatcher and only 1 hatched.

They did hatch on day 19.

I also received eggs from TJChickens yesterday...9 to be exact. They are in a still air around 100°F with about 40-45% humidity. Let's hope this hatch goes well.
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

So out of the 9 eggs I put into the incubator only one is still going the rest had blood rings or nothing at all... there are 3 other eggs in there that are a few days behind but they are going well too...out of 12 I have 4 right now... I blame these crazy temperatures...

Today I put all my silkied birds together in one coop as most of the girls are laying now. They are adjusting. The run is only partly sheltered with netting on the rest. A few had never been in the rain before and it started pouring. I had to shut them all in the coop. We'll try again tomorrow!

I have a few hens sitting on eggs right now. I am trying not to hatch any and just let the hens do it. I have enough chicks in the house right now anyway. These two frizzles turned out to be boys. They get a little rowdy and need a time out occasionally. They discovered how cozy the cat is yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom