Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

can anyone help me out with the silkied gene in seramas? I'm getting a few silkied offspring, but all my adults are smooth feathered. I'm pretty sure i know which hen is carrying the gene, from the looks of the babies (all buff colored) but does it mean that my rooster is also a carrier? I assumed so, until i got a black silkied one. My younger cockerel (more black) has been mating the girls too now, so is he the dad of the black silkied one? Would he have to be a carrier also? Or is it just as likely that the same pair just created such different looking chicks?

I hope this chart helps. In colors, black is dominant so if the black rooster was the sire, chances are the majority of your chicks are not from him. Sounds like you have some hidden silkied genetics all around :)
silkiedandsmooth.JPG

I hope this chart helps. In colors, black is dominant so if the black rooster was the sire, chances are the majority of your chicks are not from him. Sounds like you have some hidden silkied genetics all around :) View attachment 1030851

perfect! Thank you :bow
not sure why i never found that chart, but i appreciate it. Now I'll have to study it and map mine out. The more black male is younger and just starting to get the girls to submit. But if i can still get silkies by using him, that will be helpful because his type is better. :clap
Thanks again!

perfect! Thank you :bow
not sure why i never found that chart, but i appreciate it. Now I'll have to study it and map mine out. The more black male is younger and just starting to get the girls to submit. But if i can still get silkies by using him, that will be helpful because his type is better. :clap
Thanks again!
YW! Glad it helped. Just be careful with black or you will end up with all black chickens. The gene is just about as strong as barred.

Back
Top Bottom