serama leg color...

Quote:
so, is that why all "american" serama look very much like OEGB...? so far, i've been seeing more and more gigantic tailed serama and some a bit taller than most... i always thought serama were the smallest of the chicken breeds... but some of my OEGB are a couple of ounces under a type A serama... if people are making serama look like OEGB, why not just get OEGB chickens...? LOL...

hahahhaa... i'm such a scrooge... i like seramas, but just don't understand why people would breed OEGB into them... what does that do...? why did they do it...? and yellow... srsly...? LOL... but i guess... oegb are mostly white, dutch are slate/gray, and looks like nothing bantam and gamey had yellow legs... makes sense to me...

oh well... need to sell my house and get a couple of malaysian seramas...

No it's not. I don't know any Serama breeders that cross their birds with OEGB. The leg color for Serama is set to yellow and it will always be yellow. It is difficult to get yellow legs on dark (black, blue) birds, but it is not impossible. I believe 'swarthy' legs are acceptable on darker birds.

The reason why some of your OEGB are smaller or as small as Seramas is due to the OEGB breeders. OEGB should be 22-24 ounces, maybe a little smaller/bigger depending on sex and age. OEGB breeders are breeding these birds way too small.

ETA: Old English body types are much different than Serama body types. Using Old English to introduce any trait would do more harm than good to someone's breeding program.

so true...

we got some fawn silver duckwings that are probably 13oz or less... they are very very small and light... but since they feather themselves to look bigger... anyways... the trio came like that... we're breeding them to some SQ blacks to produce larger EE fawn/dun birds... but still... all of the chicks that these fawns make are very tiny...

so... what exactly is swarty color... and i'm sure i didn't spell that right... but it's aight... if it isn't green or yellow, i'll start aiming for that color...

Quote:
Swarthy is a 'mix' between black and yellow
DSC00792.jpg

Notice the legs on that little girl, not quite yellow but not quite black.

The OEGB size also depends on what part of the country you live in. Since they are not weighed at shows, they have become very lenient. But judges/buyers/breeders/etc. in different parts of the country set the size 'standard' for OEGB in that area. I don't remember exactly, but I believe it was the ones in the south are smaller than the ones in the north, and the ones in the west smaller than those in the east. But I do know that they are not all the same size all over the country.

I've not weighed my OEGB, just going by looks, but I'd say they are at least the same size, if not smaller, than some of my Serama...and almost all my Serama are the right size. I only have 2 or 3 males that are on the heavy side, but they still fall under the 16 oz. +/- 20% for cocks or 14 oz. +/- 20% for cockerels rule.

ETA: All my females fall within the 12 oz. for pullets or 14 oz. for hens +/- 20% rule.

Last edited:
Quote:
Swarthy is a 'mix' between black and yellow
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/shelleyd2008/chickens/seramas/DSC00792.jpg

Notice the legs on that little girl, not quite yellow but not quite black.

The OEGB size also depends on what part of the country you live in. Since they are not weighed at shows, they have become very lenient. But judges/buyers/breeders/etc. in different parts of the country set the size 'standard' for OEGB in that area. I don't remember exactly, but I believe it was the ones in the south are smaller than the ones in the north, and the ones in the west smaller than those in the east. But I do know that they are not all the same size all over the country.

I've not weighed my OEGB, just going by looks, but I'd say they are at least the same size, if not smaller, than some of my Serama...and almost all my Serama are the right size. I only have 2 or 3 males that are on the heavy side, but they still fall under the 16 oz. +/- 20% for cocks or 14 oz. +/- 20% for cockerels rule.

ETA: All my females fall within the 12 oz. for pullets or 14 oz. for hens +/- 20% rule.

thx... swarthy looks better than yellow IMO... i'm gonna look out for that when i buy birds soon... i thought the only colors accepted were yellow and willow...? willow is green with a yellow stripe right..?

The American Standard book of Perfection for Poultry clearly indicates
Old English Game bantams must weigh:
Cock-24 ounces
Cockerel-22 ounces
Hen-22 ounces
Pullet-20 ounces
All birds should be within or near the weigh specification for there class.

I believe those birds who are grossly under or over the weigh standard do not hold up to the standard of the breed as a whole. Many times birds which are grossly under weight lack the proper build and muscle which defines the breed. Don't get me wrong, I think the world of my 14 ounce OEGB hen, but would she place at a show? absolutely not! If she were of proper weigh, with the fuller muscles defined on an OEGB, she would make a wonderful show bird. I have seen a few Sebirght lines ruined by the unnecessary down sizing, Many losing the defined chest, beautiful lacing and even wonder personalities. Now I am of course being the 'stick in the mud' as I say this, but to each his or her own opinions.

Quote:
i agree 100%... although, these aren't underweight... even the offspring are tiny... luckily, i scored a pretty big khaki rooster, so hopefully, he'll be a proper size...

Fyi, the smaller size oegb did win shows in the southern region, they just don't do well in the north....that is why they had a debate about it on the oegb forum while back.

As I remembered, the blk veriety serama breeders did have a debate on SCNA forum regarding the feathers quality of the black with yellow legs. They stated that the its almost imposible to get a black serama to look like an oegb black without risking of loosing the yellow legs. If who ever say its possible, I want to see a pic of your black serama with yellow legs right next to the oegb black...seeing is believing!!!!!!

No offense but please don't preach other people when you can't do it yourself!!! I am the type of follower that will follow a proven leader to the end of the world if needed, but to follow a mediocre leader, I will flip the table.
wink.png

Alicia G wrote:

The American Standard book of Perfection for Poultry clearly indicates
Old English Game bantams must weigh:
Cock-24 ounces
Cockerel-22 ounces
Hen-22 ounces
Pullet-20 ounces
All birds should be within or near the weigh specification for there class.

I believe those birds who are grossly under or over the weigh standard do not hold up to the standard of the breed as a whole. Many times birds which are grossly under weight lack the proper build and muscle which defines the breed. Don't get me wrong, I think the world of my 14 ounce OEGB hen, but would she place at a show? absolutely not! If she were of proper weigh, with the fuller muscles defined on an OEGB, she would make a wonderful show bird. I have seen a few Sebirght lines ruined by the unnecessary down sizing, Many losing the defined chest, beautiful lacing and even wonder personalities. Now I am of course being the 'stick in the mud' as I say this, but to each his or her own opinions.

i agree 100%... although, these aren't underweight... even the offspring are tiny... luckily, i scored a pretty big khaki rooster, so hopefully, he'll be a proper size...

Now that I read back my post was a tad snappy like, I didn't mean that smaller birds were skinny, but that they were small and not to standard.The hen I have is a rescue, and I think she came from a breeder trying to get some pretty petite chickies. Congrats with your Khaki rooster, I bet he's one handsome fella
smile.png

With the black variety of serama, they more often then not come out with black/green/swarthy legs then yellow. I know black is a color that comes up ofter in hens, and roosters also, though they often have gold leakage. I bet you could find some lovely black serama with a leg color other then yellow quite well for a reasonable price, seeing how black/green legs are not desirable in American serama. I personally like the yellow legs myself, but the black legs are quite sharp also
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
i figured that a quality black serama with yellow legs would kind of be impossible... since every other breed that has different color variations, black, blue, self blue and other dilutes will have different colored legs and still be an exception to standard/show...

also, that's kind of why i want to stay away from the OEGB and SCNA forums... sounds like a lot of drama and arguments over everyone's opinions... i rather just sit back and read up on standards and build around that...

so... i have serama with light yellow legs... how do i make swarthy...? i like that more than yellow or willow... still don't know really what willow is, but i heard it was green and yellow... that sounds kinda gross... LOL...

Quote:
Now that I read back my post was a tad snappy like, I didn't mean that smaller birds were skinny, but that they were small and not to standard.The hen I have is a rescue, and I think she came from a breeder trying to get some pretty petite chickies. Congrats with your Khaki rooster, I bet he's one handsome fella
smile.png

With the black variety of serama, they more often then not come out with black/green/swarthy legs then yellow. I know black is a color that comes up ofter in hens, and roosters also, though they often have gold leakage. I bet you could find some lovely black serama with a leg color other then yellow quite well for a reasonable price, seeing how black/green legs are not desirable in American serama. I personally like the yellow legs myself, but the black legs are quite sharp also
smile.png

no sweety, i didn't find any offense on your post...
smile.png

and thx... this khaki roo is a great foundation for a couple of projects i have lined up... including platinum OEGB... now i'm waiting for a khaki hen with great type to come out to help broaden the project at my friend's house... that way i can have two huge separate breeding projects and not stress when getting over whelmed by birdies...

there's a local chicken propagator that got a hold of seramas... so far he's been breeding all kinds of birds and he created his own line of chickens... they're all barred or crele looking, type A or smaller (micro maybe) with a small crest like a silkie mix... i don't know how he did it... but i think i have a picture of one of his roo's...

this dude...

microserama.jpg

I think the legs on my hen are considered "willow"

IMG_2579005.jpg

She and my yellow legged roo made this offspring. His legs are very green.

0810002.jpg

and then here's his full brother from the same hatch

0810018.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom