serama leg color...

Quote:
You have a good point there Gumbii. Sometimes those forums start feeling so competitive it takes away the fun, especially for those of us just starting out. To have someone tell you your bird would look better deep-fried with BBQ sauce is, well....
idunno.gif
not how you inspire people.

Quote:
interesting... i still don't understand leg genetics... i thought i never had to deal with it... but now i know... need to find the leg thread and scope it out...

or... in serama, is it the same as their color...? like all random and genetic soup...?

Well, with a green (willow?) legged hen, with a yellow legged roo, I had 3 yellow legged offspring, one green, and its not sexlinked. 1 cockerel w/green, 1 cockerel w/ yellow, 1 pullet w/yellow, 1 ??baby with yellow (at least thats what it looks like now).

Last edited:
Quote:
You have a good point there Gumbii. Sometimes those forums start feeling so competitive it takes away the fun, especially for those of us just starting out. To have someone tell you your bird would look better deep-fried with BBQ sauce is, well....
idunno.gif

yeah, i don't mind criticism but when your hard work is shot down by haters... that's a tough one right there... just like in the reef/coral aquatics hobby i'm in... there are a lot of goobers and haters... LOL... goobers are the somewhat nerdy people that say the wrong thing all the time, give horrible advice and end up offending everyone in every thread... a hater is well... some one that thinks they are competing with everyone else in the hobby and won't rest until they win the imaginary competition they are in with other hobbyist/enthusiast...

that said...

i like BYC... it's great, nothing but friendly people, and the breeders/competitors have a great respect for the small back yard breeder or plain old chicken keeper that is in it for the eggs...

Quote:
idunno.gif

I totally agreed with both of you......some time I just want to vent out on those who preach on things that they can't even do themselves or they preach one way and their action is totally contradiction to what they preach.
somad.gif
barnie.gif
what do I know, I am just a newbie at this hobby.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Swarthy is a 'mix' between black and yellow
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/shelleyd2008/chickens/seramas/DSC00792.jpg

Notice the legs on that little girl, not quite yellow but not quite black.

The OEGB size also depends on what part of the country you live in. Since they are not weighed at shows, they have become very lenient. But judges/buyers/breeders/etc. in different parts of the country set the size 'standard' for OEGB in that area. I don't remember exactly, but I believe it was the ones in the south are smaller than the ones in the north, and the ones in the west smaller than those in the east. But I do know that they are not all the same size all over the country.

I've not weighed my OEGB, just going by looks, but I'd say they are at least the same size, if not smaller, than some of my Serama...and almost all my Serama are the right size. I only have 2 or 3 males that are on the heavy side, but they still fall under the 16 oz. +/- 20% for cocks or 14 oz. +/- 20% for cockerels rule.

ETA: All my females fall within the 12 oz. for pullets or 14 oz. for hens +/- 20% rule.

thx... swarthy looks better than yellow IMO... i'm gonna look out for that when i buy birds soon... i thought the only colors accepted were yellow and willow...? willow is green with a yellow stripe right..?

Willow is either a fault or a DQ, can't remember which right now. They should be yellow but swarthy is acceptable in blue/black/splash and I believe mottled.

ETA: I have no idea how you would 'make' swarthy legs, but I believe the willow (green) legs are recessive. But since 'we' don't know which Serama carry the gene for willow (since a bird can have yellow legs and still throw green-legged offspring) most breeders recommend not breeding willow-legged birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
thx... swarthy looks better than yellow IMO... i'm gonna look out for that when i buy birds soon... i thought the only colors accepted were yellow and willow...? willow is green with a yellow stripe right..?

Willow is either a fault or a DQ, can't remember which right now. They should be yellow but swarthy is acceptable in blue/black/splash and I believe mottled.

ETA: I have no idea how you would 'make' swarthy legs, but I believe the willow (green) legs are recessive. But since 'we' don't know which Serama carry the gene for willow (since a bird can have yellow legs and still throw green-legged offspring) most breeders recommend not breeding willow-legged birds.

great... i'm very confused now...

so... yellow and swarthy colored legs are only accepted based on the color of the chicken...???? but i remember hearing that willow was accepted... i forgot who told me...

is there a link with the standard...? or a book...? or is it all still being written out by a bunch of different people like little kids before playing a game of marbles... LOL...

sorry... but i was at a party yesterday throwing a spin top and playing marbles and it just cracked me up how we were making up rules as we went... HAHAHAHAHA...

Its not a DQ for an SCNA show, its just not what the SCNA eventually wants to keep as a standard. I entered my green legged girl in the June SCNA double show here in CA, she did pretty well considering her age (4-1/2 months).

Of course she'd never be able to compete in an ABA show, wrong color to begin with.... they only accept white Serama, and yellow shanks are a must for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom