Serama Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bigrooster42, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Bigrooster42

Bigrooster42 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    Hi there i was wondering about Seramas. Like how many eggs, can you keep them inside, what is a true serama? Thanks. Oh and pics please.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I personally don't believe in keeping them inside. Despite the fact that they are so tiny, they are in fact chickens and chickens do best in a flock.
    How many eggs you get would really depend on the bloodline. My eldest serama Widget is now somewhere between 5 and 6 years old, still laying eggs although most of hers are now infertile. Widget has what has become an annoying habit for me. She lays just enough eggs - between 3 and 6 - to go broody on them. Widget raises her chicks for 6 weeks, kicks them to the curb, lays another 3 to 6 eggs, goes broody again....all year round! Since her eggs are now mostly infertile, I usually get tired of fighting her broodiness long before she gives up, so I end up buying her chicks and she does the rest.
    I purchased Widget from a serama breeder that was getting out of the breed.

Here she is, all nine ounces of her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  3. Bigrooster42

Bigrooster42 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    thank you so much. So they are a very broody breed... thats great..

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not necessarily, as I've heard from other serama owners. Widget may be the exception to the rule. I've told my husband more than once that I think the real reason the breeder wanted rid of Widget is because the bird is rarely ever not broody. She drives me nuts with it, but I love her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by