Serama Rooster Sick With Green Watery Poop and Curling Comb

Chcknlvr3

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, as I am hoping someone has seen this before. My beautiful 4 year old Serama suddenly started having watery green poo, with a small amount of firm dark and a little white in the middle. It's like green pee basically. I noticed it when I went to clean the area under where he roosts. I keep a very clean coop with a sand run(my husband bought all purpose last time and I wonder about that being an issue), and aspen shavings in the coop/hen house area. His comb also looked to be curling at the tips, like a court jester, but no paleness, darkening or swelling. It is now shriveling up. He was moving his tail up and down. I have younger roosters that hatched about 6-8 months ago, as well as his brother who took over as leader a while back when I wanted frizzles and separated them. I decided to bring him inside to my husband's office, and to see if I can get him well. A chicken savvy friend said he could be depressed, but another Serama breeder friend said that poop looks like an internal organ issue. He has no parasite issue externally, and has been dewormed in case that was the issue. He has had electrolytes, vitamins, probiotics, as well as regular water, and is drinking and eating well. I did a round of antibiotics just in case of an infection, as a chicken friend thought he might have one. Nothing has helped. Yes, I ought to take him to the vet, but I just have a feeling it is going to be quite a bit of money without much help. I have pictures if anyone wants to see. Thank you for any help.

First off welcome to the forum! Make sure you stop in at the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself! We are always eager to welcome new comers.

Secondly I am so sorry that a problem brought you here but here is where you need to be. We will do our best to help you.

Okay, your Serama. Any chance of parasites? Have you wormed lately? Any blood in the droppings? That is usually a sign of coccidiosis. Is his weight good or has he seemed to have lost weight lately?

I'm going to tag some chicken savvy members and see what they can suggest that I haven't. @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @casportpony. What do you all think might be going on with this nice newcomer's rooster?

Don't worry, you are doing all you can at this time to help him. Hopefully somebody can come up with more suggestions.

Is he taking fluids normally? You can get extra water into him by offering him a small bowl of watery chicken feed and add a little egg or tuna for extra protein. Maybe he is not eating and drinking enough? Get a weight on him as a baseline to keep track. Green droppings can be a sign of not eating, but pictures may help. If you have a supplement, such as Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell to give him a couple of drops daily for about 3-4 days, it could help with vitamins and electrolytes.

Greenish droppings can be as a result of giving your birds a diet high in weeds, grasses, greens, and vegetables. Such products make the chicken poop to look green as an indication of spending most of their time free-ranging or consuming leafy green treats in your garden. So, (if I am correct) you should not panic upon seeing a healthy green poop in your chicken coop. However, the best way is to take Serama to a Veterinarian for a check up.

Children? I know that is a typo. (-; 50mg, 2 x a day for 5 days. He just finished, and I put the probiotics in. I can do more if you think it would help. He did not improve at all.

Ivermectin pour on. It is what I had on hand. I do have the paste also, but used the other, just in case I missed any external, though I gave him a good once over, twice.
Did he improve with the Amoxicillin at all?
How much does he weigh?

Ivermectin Pour On might treat roundworms. It should treat lice/mites. Dosing for pour on is .09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck making contact with the skin, then repeat in 10 days.

I would feed him a wet mash of feed made with some buttermilk/plain yogurt and a little water. Looking at what's in his dish, I'd go with wet feed for now and cut out the corn/grain, etc. Give him a treat of scrambled eggs instead.
I'm thinking he may have what the old timers called "the greens" which is Enteritis, but could be way off.
Treatment is with antibiotics. Since the Amoxicillin didn't help (Assuming he only weighs 1 pound according to what you dosed him at) then you can try a different one. A sulfa drug may help, but if you can find a Tetracycline (ask your vet!) that may be more effective.
Corid to treat Coccidiosis (which goes often hand-in-hand with Enteritis). Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I would drench him at .10ml per pound of undiluted Liquid Corid for 3 days. This is in addition to him drinking the mixed Corid water.

If you have vet care, that would the very best move. We are not vets here. Get a fecal float to see if worms are an issue and if possible a gram stain.

Wyorp Rock, You are my hero!:love I started Havisham on the Corid water, and gave him yogurt, made a mash, and a fresh scrambled Serama egg right after your reply. I got him tetracycline yesterday, and he had two doses. I held him last night, and he was so sweet, and exhausted that I honestly thought he was not going to be alive in the morning. Well, he was, and he seemed a little "better" and since it was a sunny day, I took him into the backyard, and let him hang out in the "catio", sans cats, of course. I sprinkled treats outside so the others would come visit him. I gave him a little bit too. He was not that interested. He was very interested in the baby greens that had sprouted from our much needed rain, and he was drinking the Corid water quite a bit, and he started perking up a bit, and so I let him out with the others. He looked happier, and walked around with them, and his tail was in the air!:yesss: He had two doses of tetracycline spaced 8 hours apart, and then I put him back in the house when I went out. Well, when I came home hours later and checked on him, there was NO green watery fluid on the puppy pad in his carrier!!!:celebrate I gave him his evening dose of medicine, and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I will continue with your instructions. I really appreciate your suggestions. If you still think I ought to drench him with the Corid, I will. Thank you again. I will keep you posted.
I'm glad to hear he's feeling a little better and am hopeful that he will make a full recovery!
Yes, I would drench him with the Corid for the 3 days and make sure he's drinking the mixed Corid water for at least 5 days.

In case you are wondering why I recommended what I did...here's why:
IF this is enteritis, then it's damaging to the intestines. Coccidiosis can also be part of the issue when dealing with inflamed intestines, so your antibiotic is treating infection and the Corid is reducing the number of Coccidia (which can also severely damage the intestines). So - yes - I would continue with all the treatments for the full amount of time.

The buttermilk/yogurt is to help coat and sooth the intestines - also good source of probiotics.

Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom