Serama Rooster Sick With Green Watery Poop and Curling Comb

Chcknlvr3

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, as I am hoping someone has seen this before. My beautiful 4 year old Serama suddenly started having watery green poo, with a small amount of firm dark and a little white in the middle. It's like green pee basically. I noticed it when I went to clean the area under where he roosts. I keep a very clean coop with a sand run(my husband bought all purpose last time and I wonder about that being an issue), and aspen shavings in the coop/hen house area. His comb also looked to be curling at the tips, like a court jester, but no paleness, darkening or swelling. It is now shriveling up. He was moving his tail up and down. I have younger roosters that hatched about 6-8 months ago, as well as his brother who took over as leader a while back when I wanted frizzles and separated them. I decided to bring him inside to my husband's office, and to see if I can get him well. A chicken savvy friend said he could be depressed, but another Serama breeder friend said that poop looks like an internal organ issue. He has no parasite issue externally, and has been dewormed in case that was the issue. He has had electrolytes, vitamins, probiotics, as well as regular water, and is drinking and eating well. I did a round of antibiotics just in case of an infection, as a chicken friend thought he might have one. Nothing has helped. Yes, I ought to take him to the vet, but I just have a feeling it is going to be quite a bit of money without much help. I have pictures if anyone wants to see. Thank you for any help.

First off welcome to the forum! Make sure you stop in at the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself! We are always eager to welcome new comers.

Secondly I am so sorry that a problem brought you here but here is where you need to be. We will do our best to help you.

Okay, your Serama. Any chance of parasites? Have you wormed lately? Any blood in the droppings? That is usually a sign of coccidiosis. Is his weight good or has he seemed to have lost weight lately?

I'm going to tag some chicken savvy members and see what they can suggest that I haven't. @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @casportpony. What do you all think might be going on with this nice newcomer's rooster?

Don't worry, you are doing all you can at this time to help him. Hopefully somebody can come up with more suggestions.

Greenish droppings can be as a result of giving your birds a diet high in weeds, grasses, greens, and vegetables. Such products make the chicken poop to look green as an indication of spending most of their time free-ranging or consuming leafy green treats in your garden. So, (if I am correct) you should not panic upon seeing a healthy green poop in your chicken coop. However, the best way is to take Serama to a Veterinarian for a check up.

Is he taking fluids normally? You can get extra water into him by offering him a small bowl of watery chicken feed and add a little egg or tuna for extra protein. Maybe he is not eating and drinking enough? Get a weight on him as a baseline to keep track. Green droppings can be a sign of not eating, but pictures may help. If you have a supplement, such as Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell to give him a couple of drops daily for about 3-4 days, it could help with vitamins and electrolytes.

First off welcome to the forum! Make sure you stop in at the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself! We are always eager to welcome new comers.

Secondly I am so sorry that a problem brought you here but here is where you need to be. We will do our best to help you.

Okay, your Serama. Any chance of parasites? Have you wormed lately? Any blood in the droppings? That is usually a sign of coccidiosis. Is his weight good or has he seemed to have lost weight lately?

I'm going to tag some chicken savvy members and see what they can suggest that I haven't. @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @casportpony. What do you all think might be going on with this nice newcomer's rooster?

Don't worry, you are doing all you can at this time to help him. Hopefully somebody can come up with more suggestions.
Thank you so much. Yes, he is dewormed. No blood at all. No extreme weight loss.

Last edited:
Greenish droppings can be as a result of giving your birds a diet high in weeds, grasses, greens, and vegetables. Such products make the chicken poop to look green as an indication of spending most of their time free-ranging or consuming leafy green treats in your garden. So, (if I am correct) you should not panic upon seeing a healthy green poop in your chicken coop. However, the best way is to take Serama to a Veterinarian for a check up.
I am in California, so not much green and he hadn't had any extra.

Attachments

• 20211019_094924.jpg
    20211019_094924.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211017_120402.jpg
    20211017_120402.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom