1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serama rooster with mixed flock of hens.. "Can and should I"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rcl700, May 29, 2016.

1. Rcl700

Rcl700 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    I have a new flock (5) of mixed hens about 1 month old. I'm interested in putting a Serama rooster in with the flock. I cant have a rooster where I live, but the seramas' crow seems to be very quiet. I love to see the male roo's colors and attitude but I with my neighborhood and young young children a full sized boy is just not an option.

My question is, canI put a Serama rooster with normal sized girls, and is it advisable.

I can wait til they are fully grown or maybe let them grow up together.

Please share your experiences and thoughts on this matter.

Regards, [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have kept other bantam breeds with large breed hens. They hold their own. I would probably house him next to them so he gets used to them and them him. I probably wouldn't add him until they are older and are ready for a rooster at around 4-5 months, but might try letting him mingle with supervision sooner to see how he acts.

3. Rcl700

Rcl700 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    So,i should wait untill they get bigger then get a grown Serama roo.

What about getting a baby Serama roo to put together with the baby hens?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I thought you had one, sorry, if you can get a young one close to their age that is best, otherwise add an adult when your hens start laying. So either way will work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by