Seramas and Indio Gigantes

My Indio Gigante rooster was a complete gentleman with every bird here. One of his favourites to hang out with was this little black silkie. Zero issues whatsoever
View attachment 3623632

If I am not mistaken you free range your birds 24/7 on a piece of land much larger than the biggest of chicken coops, not to mention all the brush and foliage a bird can hide under. Free ranged and caged birds behave differently, especially when it comes to hierarchical disputes. Let's not forget the breed in question is seramas, not any other bantam. Just a quick look around BYC and 9/10 serama keepers will tell you it is not a good idea to mix serama with LF birds, much less a hilariously tall gamefowl

If I am not mistaken you free range your birds 24/7 on a piece of land much larger than the biggest of chicken coops, not to mention all the brush and foliage a bird can hide under. Free ranged and caged birds behave differently, especially when it comes to hierarchical disputes. Let's not forget the breed in question is seramas, not any other bantam. Just a quick look around BYC and 9/10 serama keepers will tell you it is not a good idea to mix serama with LF birds, much less a hilariously tall gamefowl
True. This felt obvious to me, however perhaps it's for the best to be stated outright. It's entirely possible that my Indio would have been violent if confined

True. This felt obvious to me, however perhaps it's for the best to be stated outright. It's entirely possible that my Indio would have been violent if confined

Space and hiding spaces give the bird the chance to get away, or avoid certain birds, so it plays a role. May I ask what the sex of that silkie is/was, and if there were any other bantams around while he was around?

Space and hiding spaces give the bird the chance to get away, or avoid certain birds, so it plays a role. May I ask what the sex of that silkie is/was, and if there were any other bantams around while he was around?
I brought him here for a relaxed breeding project and intended for him to be head rooster of a large harem of females. He was quite calm and passive to both male and female alike on arrival and only reacted violently after a normally peaceful Cubalaya rooster significantly smaller than him came on up and kicked him in the face

After a single day of aggression towards that Cubalaya though he tolerated the other two roosters without violence. Nor did he ever display any aggression towards any female (such as the silkie). In the six or so months he was here he never harmed a single living being besides that one and only fight with the Cubalaya. He accidentally stepped on chicks a couple of times but they lived fine without injury

Honestly I wouldn't call Indio Gigante "game" at all. He was more calm and peaceful than many non-game breeds I've had here

Thank you both so much for replying to this thread! I appreciate it. :)

I wanted to add one thing that might make a difference, I may have made this sound like I’m adding a couple of giants to an all bantam group. Actually, I only have six Seramas. The rest of my 27 chicken flock are large fowl (except for my D’Uccle). And the Seramas have held their place with impressive tenacity. And I do free range them all for approximately an hour or so on a two acre piece of property. Does this at all make a difference in the compatibility of Indio Gigantes with my flock?
I thought I might give it one more shot before I say “absolutely not” to getting this magnificent breed. :)

I think that you just need to cover your bases. Do you have somewhere you can house them in an emergency if you need to rehome them? How would you feel if a serama got injured, possibly seriously?

I have always just watched everyone closely with introductions, and this scenario is a little different, but I think if you are careful and have a plan-B you can try it.

Also, is it possible to just set up different housing for them? What is your climate like?

I think that you just need to cover your bases. Do you have somewhere you can house them in an emergency if you need to rehome them? How would you feel if a serama got injured, possibly seriously?

I have always just watched everyone closely with introductions, and this scenario is a little different, but I think if you are careful and have a plan-B you can try it.

Also, is it possible to just set up different housing for them? What is your climate like?
I think it would be amazing to set up another coop, but I believe a few people in the household would object… 😂
And my climate is humid. Very, very humid. With the occasional very cold winter. (I have weird weather from time to time)

Back
Top Bottom