Seramas and winter in NY?

Azeria

Chirping
Apr 11, 2019
Hi,
I was wondering peoples thoughts about Seramas and winter, because i have fallen in love with the little guys and i'm in Upstate NY and do you think I would be able to keep them outside in the winter the average low is about 14.5°F and the high is 30.6°F? I have heard a bunch of different opinions with them. I'm going to make a new separate coop away from my bigger girls with wind cover and installation, but i don't think i would be able to have heat lamp.

Smooth feathered Serama do fine at those temperatures. I am in Texas but have several Serama and one rooster in particular that has slept outside down to 10 degrees and no ill affects other than some comb frostbite. He refuses to go in at night and sleeps on a rock in the run. That being said I have had some seramas from different breeders that dont do well at all in the cold. Also keep in mind those conditions are dry not wet. If you have no option of a heat lamp I would not suggest seramas as there are circumstances that will make it necessary to have some heat at those temperatures like rain, wind, snow, etc.

Thanks, I’m just going to keep the Seramas inside when it gets super cold.

Back
Top Bottom