Seramas?

BastyPutt

Yes, your Polish is a cockerel...
May 9, 2020
Central Oregon
OK - since the start of our journey, I have always wanted a Serama rooster - but have always been concerned about the extra maintenance because of their size and the attention they need. Anyway, I bought some hatching eggs last night (gives me about a week to come up with some excuse for my wife as to why I NEED these little ones)

We have a large coop for the standard size hens, who free range the pasture when not cooped (two roosters in there, and 50 hens) - a small run and coop for our bantams (1 frizzle rooster, 13 assorted bantam hens) - my son has really taken to keeping, and loves bantams. This is is flock that he has been collecting different breeds.

Anyway, my question is this for anyone experienced with Sereamas. Assuming they are introduced correctly, considering their size, are they ok coop mates for smaller breeds? In other words, and more plainly, were do you roost your Seremas with you flocks, if you have them mixed with average sized hens?

Truthfully, I hope to train one of the roosters to just sit on my should as I go about my day - like a parrot to a pirate. There would be nothing more extreme than greeting folks at your front gate with a miniature rooster on your shoulder, that hopefully looks like it is ready to attack like a pit bull.

**4 weeks later** the one time in the history of the hatching universe every single egg hatches a pullet. :he

My seramas and serama mixes were able to live with other bantams. However, I did have some problems when I introduced the seramas to the other chickens when they were too young, not because of bullying, but because the seramas weren’t ready to be outside and lagged behind the rest of the flock.

I had his siblings for sale and was going to keep him as my pet. But the person that bought them saw my little guy on my shoulder and wanted him. I guess he wanted a shoulder buddy too. So I ended up selling him also.

Back
Top Bottom