Serendipity at the new duck pen...

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I've been designing & constructing all my coops & pens by myself, making it up as I go along and using a majority of building materials reclaimed from curbside discard piles. This week I decided my new ducks should have a pen of their own, set the posts for the fence in the optimal place in the yard for them, then uncoiled a roll of fence wire I had found by the road. Rough measurement told me that I would have at least enough for the sides of the pen, with a little left over that might be enough for the gate.

It was a moment of joyous serendipity when I laid out the frame of the gate, set the remaining wire over it, and trimmed off exactly ONE extra strand of wire to make it fit.

Sometimes God shows Ol' Murphy who's really the boss...

Ain't it great?

wee.gif

Quote:
If only I were as capable with computers as I am with coop construction... You notice I don't even have a picture by my name? I've been asking my teenage son & my computer tech husband to figure it out & show me what to do. Everyone says "oh it's easy" but I would prefer to be shown what to do rather than puzzle out the directions myself.

You can be sure that as soon as I learn I'll be sending & posting photos here!

I had another such moment of serendipity today while re-wiring the hoop pen, and want to dust off this old thread to add this report.

I'm still cobbling my pens together, still working without much pre-planning or measuring, still using reclaimed materials as much as I can. And still being blessed by God with the surprisingly successful results.

Now that I think of it, the goose pen I made a few months ago also just happened to be just the right dimensions for the roll of reclaimed wire fencing I was using. I didn't measure first, and had to dig a few different post holes because I hit solid rock in the first few places I'd planned for the corners to be. And happily, when I stapled the wire on the posts, it fit just perfectly.

And this weekend I took the old rusty chicken wire off the hoop pen and replaced it with some new stuff I had gotten free of charge. After removing the old wire I saw how bent the old PVC hoops had gotten, so decided to replace them with new pipe (reclaimed). As I was working I decided to replace the single central top bar with two others that I placed a bit further down the sides, in line with the top corners of the door frame.

After zip tying them in place, I set the chicken wire in place along the sides and was pleased to see that it just exactly fit from the bottom edge to the place where the 2 new side bars were set! Furthermore, when I was looking for wire to cover the bit of the top of the pen still uncovered, I found a new roll of chicken wire in the shed, 3" X 10' that just exactly fit the uncovered top!

There once was a time when I'd think such serendipity was due to kharma, or my good deeds, or "cosmic perfection". But now I want to give credit right where it's due, and thank the good Lord for His perfect provision.

Thank You, Lord! Take that, Murphy!

I always love it when that happens for about 30 seconds. Then I spend the rest of the day looking over my shoulder for the run away bus that I just know has my name on it.
gig.gif
Hope "your" bus had a flat tire and couldn't get ya!

Swamp

wee.gif
Share the joy with us , in pictures!!
So happy for you !! I felt the same way when hubby cut out our doors on the coop and they swung free of the frame and even had this cool sqeakin sound too!!!! A priceless moment!!
celebrate.gif

lol.png
OH yes.....The small things in life are often the greatest joys !!!

Back
Top Bottom