Serious attack on hen *warning pretty hard to look at pictures

Henpecked Dad

Chirping
Aug 26, 2021
Our hen got attacked by something and we need your help to figure what got her. We've been nursing her for a couple of weeks now; pictures are pretty hard to look at.
Wounds are very deep. Are using sterile environment; peroxide, Manuka honey, bandages with special removable tape. Physical therapy, sunshine, and isolation.

From the deep wounds and their placement, our possible suspects are: red tailed hawk, cat, other chicken.

Attachments

• IMG_1532(1).jpg
    IMG_1532(1).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 34
I would stop using the peroxide, since it can damage tissue and keep it from healing. Using once to clean a dirty wound is okay, but then use saline or a mild wound spray. Most times it is best to coat the wounds with plain triple antibiotic ointment and leave it open to air (no bandage.) Of course then she should be separated and not be around flies. The manukau honey is fine to use. Please let us know how she gets along.

Poor girl, not sure what attacked her. At least you're doing your best to nurse her back. The most gruesome injury I tended to was at my friend's place, they have turkeys & one wasn't mobile due to a slipped tendon & rats had chewed on him at his tail feathers during the night.

One nasty injury happened to my hen. Her Rooster actually punctured & ripped her skin with his spur when he was jumping on her back. If you have a rooster & that is his favorite hen, it may be from his spur. I've learned to trim my Roo's spurs.

I keep several emergency items on hand, my "doctor's bag" so to speak. My fav items are saline wound wash, Vetericyn spray & Neosporin (just the triple antibiotic, Not the pain releiver as that is dangerous for birds).
You may want to get yourself a little kit, to have things on hand. You never know when an issue may arise, anything from bumblefoot or an injury like yours, to an irritated eye or ingrown feather.

Also in my bag...VetRX, Hensaver cream, Poultry Wound spray, charcoal pills, vitamin B, electrolytes, probiotics, non stick sterile pads, the tape wrap that sticks to itself but not to skin, shower wound protector (does stick to skin), tweezers, eye dropper, mini plier, scissor, Wound wash, eye wash, something to address mites. Many have their preferences, diatomaceous earth is a good preventative but when there is a nasty infestation already present, I either wash with gentle shampoo then dry with dryer or if unable to wash, I've used Bronco citronella spray (then gently used a wet paper towel to wipe the dead & dying mites off). I have another small bag of supplies for when I have to stitch up a nasty injury, but that's rare.

Medicines I keep handy are powder, pill or capsule form, but PennG in liquid form is available at Tractor Supplies or most other livestock stores. Penicillin, amoxicillan, doxycycline & ronidazole are useful, sometimes they may be needed for infection, respiratory or canker, but anitibiotics are for those rare occasions.

I put Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 tablespoon per gallon, in my flock's drinking water. Melons, squash, free ranging for greens & bugs, etc. all help a strong immune system so if an injury does occur, healing will go well.

Manuka honey is awesome, I use it & take a teaspoon myself every day in a glass of water & teaspoon of Bragg's.
Keep up the good work with your hen, & let us know how she is doing. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom