Raccoon Attack

MyHappyGirls

Songster
7 Years
Sep 11, 2016
Soquel, Ca
Good Morning,
Our hen was attacked by a raccoon last night, the emergency animal hospital doesn't have a bird expert. So we are treating her at home.
It was pretty bad, lots of blood around her face. We cleaned her up as much as we could and set her up in the bathroom with a heating lamp. I don't have any neosporin so I made her a manuka honey rinse I used to clean the blood up. I can not find any open wounds around her face or neck. She has a big patch of skin and feathers torn/hanging from her underside (not bleeding at all). She is breathing rough and it looks like her crop is very swollen. It is very hard to tell where that blood came from. The raccoon dragged her through the sideyard and By then we ran out and scared it away. She was in between the fence and tool shed.
I started her on water with honey, arnica and ledum palustre pellets. She takes it fine when I hold it up to her beak.
Anyone have experience with this that can recommend anything? Or share their experience. What should I look out for? We are going to reinforce the coop obviously! Any ideas and input is appreciated!

Here are some photos of her injuries Thanks to anyone able to help:)

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 26
Happy Wednesday :) little Red is doing so much better! Thank goodness. She has been perching on her basket and eating a tiny bit and drinking on her own!!!! Yesterday she was working on her face and practically dunking her head in the water, as I sat a watched her for awhile I realized she was cleaning herself up, was amazing! Her treatment has consisted of manuka honey, arnica pellet & colloidal silver in water, high grade organic hen feed, Henny Penny worms, fresh corn and cooked brown rice. I smeared the manuka honey on her underside where the skin-is missing and dabbed it around her face and neck. Everyday I have been cleaning a bit with warm water using qtips and cotton balls, but the cotton balls seemed to stick more. I also dabbed a bit of castor oil and arnica cream around her injuries. I still can find a puncture wound. I guess all the blood must have come from feathers. Here is what she looks like today.
Sorry about the red lighting. We have a heating lamp going so that she can stay warm and not use her energy to keep warm, instead her energy can be used for healing.:)
IMG_0333.jpeg
IMG_0334.jpeg
IMG_0335.jpeg
IMG_0336.jpeg

I’m so happy to hear she is doing good. These are my favorite posts to see; when they recover. I’m sorry there was never a reply to your post. It looks like she is in great hands with you for an owner. I don’t have a ton of experience with injuries, we’ve only minor ones ourselves. Keep the injuries moist, as you are, with the honey or plain neosporin (non-pain relieve kind). Watch out for flies this time of year, although so is inside, probably not a huge issue. Sometimes electrolyte mixes or even a little sugar water are great recovery tools, especially right after attacks to treat for shock. Things seem to be going in the right direction, good job.

Thank you:) yes sometimes I think it is great just to document the process it helps me see progress and others if they need it:) This website has been wonderful! There is so much information and experience that is really useful for us hen& chicken lover/owners:)

Thank you:) yes sometimes I think it is great just to document the process it helps me see progress and others if they need it:) This website has been wonderful! There is so much information and experience that is really useful for us hen& chicken lover/owners:)
Yes, there really is so great information here for us. There aren’t updates sometimes on these poor chickens, so it’s always nice to know what happens. I hope your chicken continues to improve.

How is your hen? Healing well I hope.
Happy Tuesday! Yes! She is getting better and better each day! She is preening now and eating more and more and drinking on her own. She is no longer on the treatments and seems to be healing and feeling better and better each day. She is almost able to preen her entire body. Each day she gets a little stronger and is able to bend down a little further. We started taking her out on the deck by herself to get some sunshine and fresh air. She loved it! I am so glad that she is recovering! I think we got really lucky! We will see if she ever lays an egg again.
We have three hens and she was the only active layer. She was also the top hen, I don’t know if that will happen when she goes back out since Nuggies(our little silkie) took that spot. But there are only three so it wont be too hard to reintroduce her I hope:)

Happy Tuesday! Yes! She is getting better and better each day! She is preening now and eating more and more and drinking on her own. She is no longer on the treatments and seems to be healing and feeling better and better each day. She is almost able to preen her entire body. Each day she gets a little stronger and is able to bend down a little further. We started taking her out on the deck by herself to get some sunshine and fresh air. She loved it! I am so glad that she is recovering! I think we got really lucky! We will see if she ever lays an egg again.
We have three hens and she was the only active layer. She was also the top hen, I don’t know if that will happen when she goes back out since Nuggies(our little silkie) took that spot. But there are only three so it wont be too hard to reintroduce her I hope:)
I am so happy to hear this! They really are remarkable healers. So thankful she is getting better. Great job!

Back
Top Bottom