Serious Eye Infection in my silkie hen!!!!

A nasal flush might bring relief too. The birds beak should be pointed towards the floor when doing it in order to avoid aspiration:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/NasalFlush/NasalFlush.html

Perhaps some Neo-Poly-Bac or Terramycin eye ointment may help the eye as well.

Sulfadimethoxine is the recommended drug for Coryza. Tylan will often take care of CRD symptoms, but not Coryza.
I'm not sure what coryza is but I will look it up and get some terramycin for her when I get.the tylan. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get her some relief from those and I'll post pics just as soon as I know! Thanks so much

What's that scabby looking stuff, can you get it off? Okay... I just realized that both eyes are involved, so that means she's not eating or drinking, right? Her right eye looks opaque to me, is it? Left one still looks brown, which is good.

-Kathy

Declaimer: I haven't seen one quite like this before, so I'm really just guessing now.
the really bad eye seems to look opaque, but she can still open the other one a little when I clean it. This all started as little watery bubbles in one eye. And has gone to this in a matter of 3 months now. But I should have kept a closer eye on it. But I'm just worried I won't be able to figure out what this is and how I can prevent my other hens from getting to this point? When I opened that bad eye, it almost looked like a hollow cavatie behind the eye where that scab is? I'm sure that sounds crazy, but I saw her eye on the right and when I pulled up and left it looked like a hole? Weird. Not a hole in the eye, but to the left behind it looked like it went back a ways with nothing there. Idk what the heck that was but looked very odd

Last edited:
OK everyone, I gave my hen 1cc of tylan 50 yesterday and used vetericyn in her eyes (kinda pricy) but let me tell you, she is so so much better today than she was yesterday!! So just ONE DAY of this and showing improvement! I really believe it started as something simple, like the mild case of CRD, but progressed to this. I'm just thankful for the advice from everyone. I know these pics still show scabs and eyes messed up, but I can see a big difference!! Hopefully in a week, she will be much better!!

Last edited:
Good stuff !! Glad to hear she's progressing in the right direction. I have a sablepoot with a pecked eye. ( I bought her like that thinking her best chance was with me )She is blind in that side now but the infection took a long time to subside and for her to feel well again. Maybe 3 months plus. She had 3/4 weeks of tylan (soluable it's all we can get prescribed over here in the uk) and I gave her chloramphenicol drops daily and kept it all clean. She's a happy little girl now and as fat as a little feathered football.
Hope everything goes well for you both.
Good luck x

Good stuff !! Glad to hear she's progressing in the right direction. I have a sablepoot with a pecked eye. ( I bought her like that thinking her best chance was with me )She is blind in that side now but the infection took a long time to subside and for her to feel well again. Maybe 3 months plus. She had 3/4 weeks of tylan (soluable it's all we can get prescribed over here in the uk) and I gave her chloramphenicol drops daily and kept it all clean. She's a happy little girl now and as fat as a little feathered football.
Hope everything goes well for you both.
Good luck x
oh that sounds like it was challenging!! Im just so thankful its helping her. Since I was out of options too!! Its amazing how quickly some are able to just cull them rather than help. I don't have a ton of chickens. Only about 30, and I've raised almost all of them, so I try to do what I can. I appreciate all the advice and kindness of everyone on this website. Thanks for the support!!

Hi. I am new the forum and this thread but it is a very good read for me. I am sorry to hear about your little silkie but it sounds as though you are on the right track. I, too have a silkie with an awful eye infection that I cannot get a control over. It is only in 1 eye but it is a hard pus so I cannot get it out. There is so much in her eye that it looks like the lid will explode. Her nose is gooey which would be expected from the infection and there appears to be only a little pus in her mouth. Her left eye is very clear. I have a large coop of chickens but this condition has stumped me. I wonder if I should try tylan also - if I can find it. I am trying to soak her eye to see if I can soften the pus - she, too has a good appetite. What do you think? Please help ASAP...

Hi. I am new the forum and this thread but it is a very good read for me. I am sorry to hear about your little silkie but it sounds as though you are on the right track. I, too have a silkie with an awful eye infection that I cannot get a control over. It is only in 1 eye but it is a hard pus so I cannot get it out. There is so much in her eye that it  looks like the lid will explode. Her nose is gooey which would be expected from the infection and there appears to be only a little pus in her mouth. Her left eye is very clear. I have a large coop of chickens but this condition has stumped me. I wonder if I should try tylan also - if I can find it. I am trying to soak her eye to see if I can soften the pus - she, too has a good appetite. What do you think? Please help ASAP...

Can you post pictures of her eye and the inside of her mouth?
Read this:
http://connerhills.com/sinus_infection_removal.html

-Kathy

I have also been fighting an eye infection in 2 Silkie roosters. They each have it in only one eye. I got them with it as chicks and have been treating it for months. I tried 3 different eye treatments. It is much better, but I still clean their eyes each day with water and cotton balls. They never stopped eating or drinking and never spread to any other chickens. It is just a big PIA!

My silkie had a serious eye infection for 9 months. I tried everything suggested here. Finally i brought her to an aviary vet and he immediately said she had a sinus infection which also caused severe imbalance. Up to that point every day many times a day i cleaned out her eye. He prescribed a jigh dose of clavamox fir 2 weeks and a triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment.after just 1 week most of her infection was gone and after 1 month she was infection free! So after 1 year of picking at my poor girls eye it has healed. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom