Serious pecking... will my girls live?

Miss Messy

Hatching
6 Years
May 30, 2013
I have a small flock of 6. 2 buff orpingtons, 2 australorps, 2 wyandottes. 4 of the 6 have been brutally pecked and are actively bleeding. I took the 2 girls that were uninjured and separated them. Any suggestions on what to use to isolate the other 4 so they don't peck each other to death? All of them are pecked in the same place... large spot right next to the vent. When I went out this morning, one of them has also had all of her neck feathers removed. I don't know if they have already suffered too much damage... how much damage can they take and still heal? Also, I don't know which one of the uninjured are doing the initial damage, or if it's both of them.

Chickens are attracted to blood or injuries. Pick-No-More lotion or Bitter Apple can be a good deterrent to pecking. One is pepper and the other very bitter. Often, limited space, improper diet lacking Methionine, vast differences in age, a weak or sickly bird, can cause feather picking or cannibalism. I have some questions.
1. How old are they?
2. What does their diet consist of?
3. What are the approximate measurements for space where they are kept?

Last edited:
Try and separate the main culprit (if there is one), but make sure all wounds are fully covered as when chickens see blood they keep pecking, I always have sudocreme on hand as it's so thick, purple spray is good stuff too.

Have you checked them over for mites/lice? Some mites/lice often collect around the vent and this may be why they are pecking there.

Good luck, I really hope you can get it sorted :) x

Back
Top Bottom