1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serious pecking... will my girls live?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miss Messy, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Miss Messy

Miss Messy New Egg

May 30, 2013
    I have a small flock of 6. 2 buff orpingtons, 2 australorps, 2 wyandottes. 4 of the 6 have been brutally pecked and are actively bleeding. I took the 2 girls that were uninjured and separated them. Any suggestions on what to use to isolate the other 4 so they don't peck each other to death? All of them are pecked in the same place... large spot right next to the vent. When I went out this morning, one of them has also had all of her neck feathers removed. I don't know if they have already suffered too much damage... how much damage can they take and still heal? Also, I don't know which one of the uninjured are doing the initial damage, or if it's both of them.

2. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Chickens are usually pretty tough. Clean wounds with soap and water use neosporin without pain reliever. A lot of others have used blue kote with a lot of success.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Chickens are attracted to blood or injuries. Pick-No-More lotion or Bitter Apple can be a good deterrent to pecking. One is pepper and the other very bitter. Often, limited space, improper diet lacking Methionine, vast differences in age, a weak or sickly bird, can cause feather picking or cannibalism. I have some questions.
    1. How old are they?
    2. What does their diet consist of?
    3. What are the approximate measurements for space where they are kept?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  4. lilypad

lilypad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    Try and separate the main culprit (if there is one), but make sure all wounds are fully covered as when chickens see blood they keep pecking, I always have sudocreme on hand as it's so thick, purple spray is good stuff too.

Have you checked them over for mites/lice? Some mites/lice often collect around the vent and this may be why they are pecking there.

Good luck, I really hope you can get it sorted :) x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by