Serious problem with housing

newchick33

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2017
I am having a serious issue on where to put my coop. My chickens aren't big enough yet to need the coop but we are very limited on space. My dad wants to put the coop in our garage. The problem with that is there is not sunlight in the garage, it gets extremely humid in there over the summer(i live in michigan), and I would have to keep a fan on 24/7. Now he said closing off our back yard porch would be too expensive and too close to our neighbors home. I don't have any roosters and keep telling him that the porch is the better option, they are quiet most of the time and our neighbor is never close enough to our house to actually hear them. Please weigh in your opinions so I can show my dad its unsafe to keep them in the garage. I only have 6 chickens, 5 white rocks and one sea bright bantam. the coop we have is big and hold up to 18 birds. If we can't agree on anything soon I'm afraid I'll have to get rid of my babies and I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THAT. But If the garage isn't the safest place and the porch is too expensive then I don't want them to be in harms way.

We can't put them on the grass if we put them on the porch tho I would purchase the rolls of grass so they have some

Absolutely do NOT do this - those rolls of sod are treated with chemicals and multiple people on here have had chickens die after letting them play on rolled sod lawns.

I'm trying to figure out your situation... you got chickens without planning on where to put them? They cannot go in the garage, not unless you're turning the garage into the coop, which would require adding ventilation, bedding, roosts... and of course clearing out cars and anything stored in there.

And you've mentioned the neighbors... do you actually know what the zoning requirements are for you to have chickens in your area? You need to look at the setback from property line as well as setback from your house and place the coop accordingly.

Beyond that the coop should be placed somewhere where it can hopefully get some shade. On untreated grass is fine, or dirt, or even concrete.

We can't put them on the grass if we put them on the porch tho I would purchase the rolls of grass so they have some

Wow I didn't even think of that. The issue is the zoning we don't have enough room. We have a coop obviously but I'm just worried the the garage will be wayyyyy too hot for them.

So zoning doesn't allow you enough room to place to put the coop? You really seriously need to consider rehoming them if that's the case... a single neighbor's complaint can have zoning code enforcement or animal control sending you a notice to comply in a matter of weeks.

That also means your plans for a porch coop are out, as that's too close to your house. And I assume that means you can't convert the garage into a coop either in that case, unless the garage is properly setback from both your house and property line to comply with zoning.

Either way you cannot put a coop inside a garage and shut the door like it was a garage. The heat would be an issue, ventilation would be an issue.. would they be allowed out at all? You didn't mention a run or if you were planning to free range or if that's even feasible for you to do so.

I'm not sure I understand the problem . you have a coop that's big enough for 18 Birds but you don't know where to put the coop . is the coop not installed yet. is there not enough room in the yard for a coop ? I don't get it.

How big is the coop. what does it look like. if it's big enough for 18 birds and you only have five can you just change one wall of the coop to wire and just leave them in the coop above ground . can you do that?
What are the dimensions of your Coop . can you post a picture of it to the list?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom